Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone 5 Case Review: Cygnett UrbanShield Case for iPhone 5 Review
      #43714 - 11/10/12 04:27 PM

iPhone 5 Case Review: Cygnett UrbanShield Case for iPhone 5 Review

Editor's Ratings (1-4): 4

What's Hot: Adds almost no size/weight to your iPhone 5. Backplate is actual brushed aluminum (not plastic). Surprisingly inexpensive, especially considering the materials.

What's Not: Provides no drop or moisture protection.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The UrbanShield by Cygnett is a super slim case designed to protect your iPhone 5 from bumps/scuff/scratches. It's signature feature is a brushed aluminum backplate that not only provides protection, but looks great.

Size and Fit

The UrbanShield snaps on in seconds and adds almost no size/weight to your iPhone 5. The case gives full access to all ports, switches, and buttons; and the bottom opening is even generous enough to accommodate the use of a lightning to 30-pin adaptor.

Features and Quality

Although the UrbanShield is economically priced, the materials used in its construction do not reflect this. The edges are made of a nicely rubberized plastic, and the back plate is real brushed aluminum. While imitation aluminum generally looks good enough to fool the eye, there is nothing like the cool feeling of metal in your hand while you hold your phone. To some, this may not matter, but it matters to me, and I appreciate the effort and expense necessary to do this. My only complaint with the UrbanShield is the same complaint I have with most minimalistic cases: no real drop protection. I understand that this is a design decision on Cygnett's part and not an oversight. However, I can't unreservedly recommend a case that doesn't at least attempt to provide some measure of drop protection; especially with the iPhone 5 due to its non-replaceable glass. But, if you're confident in your ability to prevent your device from going to ground, and you like your cases sleek and light, then the UrbanShield is definitely for you.

Style

The UrbanShield case is subtly stylish and nicely understated. The edges are black, and the backplate is brushed aluminum. It's the inclusion of this true aluminum backplate that gives the UrbanShield a quality feel without making it heavy or bulky. Snap it on and it's barely there design is more reminiscent of lingerie than clothing. This isn't to say that it's feminine. In fact, its gender-neutral design will appeal to anybody who is looking for something slim and sleek.

Summary

Cygnett's UrbanShield case succeeds in every way category that it competes in. While its lack of drop protection prevents me from recommending this case unreservedly, those of you who aren't worried about drops are likely to find the UrbanShield to be exactly what you are looking for.

Price: $24.99
Web site: Cygnett

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon Silver version

Buy it from Amazon Black version

Buy it from Amazon Bronze version

Check out our iPhone Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage