General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Wireless USB Storage Review: iUSBport by HyperDrive for iOS and Android Device
      #43767 - 11/20/12 09:49 AM

Wireless USB Storage Review: iUSBport by HyperDrive for iOS and Android Devices Review

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5

What's Hot: It just works; no setup or app installation required. Works with any USB storage device. Internal rechargeable battery for access on the road.

What's Not: Nothing.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The iUSBport is an amazing little device that allows you to stream movies and music from any USB storage device to any WiFi capable device.

Size

The iUSBport is tiny: 3" x 2 " x 1". It's small enough to toss in your purse/briefcase/backpack and forget it's there. It's even small enough to put in your pocket!

Features and Quality

iUSBport is an amazing little gadget. Using it is dead simple; once it's charged, simply plug in any USB storage device and power it on (in that order!). Once it's up and running, it will create its own WiFi network called iUSBport, which will be visible and selectable by your device. If you wish to use the iUSBport and access the internet at the same time via WiFi, simply make sure that your wireless router is powered on before the iUSBport. That's it! There is nothing to configure. All you need do to access your media is launch your browser and direct it toward HTTP://USB and the contents of your storage device will be accessible. Movies and music can be streamed at full quality, while photos and documents can be opened and even saved to your device. The iUSBport contains a rechargeable battery that will power it for a full five hours. Further, its charge cable also functions as a USB power cable for those times when you have a powered USB port nearby.

I tested the iUSBport with both independently powered and bus-powered hard drives, MacOS, FAT32, and NTFS file systems, and a variety of flash drives. All of these worked flawlessly, even the USB-powered hard drive was accessible while the iUSBport was on its own battery power! This is easily one of the handiest iOS accessories you never knew you needed. In fact, a co-worker was hovering nearby when I tried to use it for the first time. He was extremely skeptical when I opened the box, incredulous when he saw me importing and editing photos/documents, and downright enthusiastic when I started streaming a 1080p movie. No problems, no glitches, no hiccups; it works exactly as it should. The last I saw of him was when he marched out of my office to go buy one of his own. It's important to note, however, that the iUSBport doesn't allow you to actually copy movies or music to your iOS devices. This is not the fault of the folks at HyperDrive, as they are subject to the constraints that Apple builds into its OS that require media to be imported through iTunes. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's the price we pay for a mostly malware free operating system.

Summary

The iUSBport is an extremely handy little device for accessing the contents of USB storage devices. Getting it working is ridiculously simple, and it works exactly as advertised. Highly recommended without reservation.

Price: $99.95
Web site: HyperDrive

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon Black version

Buy it from Amazon White version

Check out our accessory reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Wireless USB Storage Review: iUSBport by HyperDrive for iOS and Android Device [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #43770 - 11/20/12 11:55 AM

That's cool! What sort of constraints are there on the logical structure of the USB drive? (For example, if I have a bunch of stuff buried five subfolders deep, will the iUSBport find it?)

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13789

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage