MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
aznboyknowledge

Reged: 12/03/12
Loc: New York, NY
Ultrabook or Ultrabook Convertible?
      #43829 - 12/03/12 10:20 PM

I am a student looking to buy an ultrabook because it is the more lightweight laptops. I am looking for something with a nice HD screen and can handle some gaming. I am also hoping it has some decent battery life.

So far, the only ones I have looked it are the Sony Duo Ultrabook convertible, Asus Zenbook Prime, Sony Vaio T Series, a little bit of the Z Series. I did look at the Lenovo Yoga but didnt like the fact that the keyboard will be on the bottom when its in tablet mode.

Please recommend.

Thank You

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Ultrabook or Ultrabook Convertible? [Re: aznboyknowledge]
      #43830 - 12/03/12 10:32 PM

I'm not sure if you're interested in a touchscreen, but the Zenbook Prime generally isn't readily available with a touchscreen yet. I personally like the Duo 11 quite a bit for its portability and really sharp 1080p display, but the Vaio T will get you the same processing and graphics power with a larger keyboard, which might be handy for typing in school.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

aznboyknowledge

Re: Ultrabook or Ultrabook Convertible? [Re: LisaG]
      #43831 - 12/03/12 11:43 PM

What other ultrabooks do you recommend besides the ones I mentioned? And I would like something touchscreen but does not have to be.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#43832 - 12/04/12 08:18 AM

The Lenovo ThinkPad Twist (normal rotational hinge so the keyboard doesn't face the bottom in tablet mode) is definitely worth a look. We'll have video review of it up tomorrow. 12.5" IPS display with touch, excellent keyboard, 3.4 pounds.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

aznboyknowledge

#43838 - 12/04/12 09:46 AM

I did some research on the Lenovo Twist and some reviews claim that some of the different modes such as tent mode doesn't work as well as it was intended to. It is also no windows 8 ready in terms that it needs a large amount of time to set up windows 8?

What do you think the durability of the Sony Vaio Duo since then it slides up it does show some.of the components? Does this convertible ultrabook have a lock key so it can continue running apps with the screen off such as playing music?

What are your thoughts on the Z series?

Edited by aznboyknowledge (12/04/12 09:54 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#43841 - 12/04/12 02:28 PM

The ThinkPad Twist is certainly Windows 8-ready since it was released as a new machine designed for that OS just after the Windows 8 launch.

I personally own the Vaio Duo 11 and like it a lot. The slider is strong and I don't think you need to worry about the slider components underneath the protective rear baffle unless you have kids or cats that might be tempted to reach in and try to pull the cables out.

The Vaio Z does not have a touchscreen and it ships with Windows 7. It's a lovely and powerful ultraportable, but if you want Windows 8 and a touchscreen, it isn't the right one for you.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

aznboyknowledge

#43846 - 12/05/12 10:46 AM

Hi Lisa,

In your opinion, what do you think is the best Windows 7 and Windows 8 ultrabook in the market?

In regards to ultrabook convertibles, I think the ThinkPad Twist and Sony Vaio Duo stand out to me most? Can you do a comparison of it? If you think there is another ultrabook convertible that is noteworthy, please mention.

Thank You

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#43848 - 12/05/12 07:11 PM

I'd also say the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 is a very compelling machine, perhaps more so than the Twist since it has a higher res display and is about the same weight while being just a little bit bigger than the Twist.

The Twist and Duo are very different: the Twist puts a premium on the keyboard experience and trackpad, while the Duo is all about superior portability, the digital pen feature and high end appointments like the full HD IPS display.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

aznboyknowledge

#43849 - 12/05/12 07:27 PM

What do you think about other windows 8 laptops such as the HP Envy Sleekbook series or HP Spectre

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#43855 - 12/07/12 09:21 AM

I like the Spectre pretty well, some of the Sleekbooks offer solid value for price-consious folks.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4451

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage