General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
BenjaminL

Reged: 11/18/12
Loc: USA
ThinkPad Twist Questions
      #43758 - 11/18/12 11:39 PM

Hello MobileTechReview Staff,

I just purchased a ThinkPad Twist, which is one of Lenovo's new convertible Ultrabook offerings (as I'm sure you know). I know that MobileTechReview has not reviewed the Twist yet, but I wanted to ask two questions about specific components of the product that you probably know more about than I would given your experience with ThinkPads and Ultrabooks.

First Question: The Twist has a swivel hinge that seems to have been used on previous ThinkPad models (i.e. the X230T) - Do you know if that hinge is generally reliable?

Second Question: Occasionally, I play some lower-end computer games such as Left 4 Dead 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Call of Duty: Black Ops. The Twist I ordered has the Intel Core i7-3517U Processor, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 8 GB of RAM - In your experience, will those sorts of games play well on these new Ultrabook processors?

Thank you in advance for providing me with some input on the Twist. I really enjoy the reviews this site posts and will be sure to reference it before I make future purchases!

Regards,
BenjaminL

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: BenjaminL]
      #43764 - 11/19/12 05:11 PM

I have played with the ThinkPad Twist and we will have a review in the future. It's certainly a nice machine for the money, and is basically the budget version of the ThinkPad X230t. That center hinge design has been around since 2002, and it's very strong and practical. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have five year olds interested in extensively torture testing it when you're not looking

Let4Dead 2 should be just fine and Black Ops (original not 2) should be fine as well.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

BenjaminL

Reged: 11/18/12
Loc: USA
Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: LisaG]
      #43765 - 11/19/12 05:24 PM

Glad to hear you'll be reviewing the Twist! Like I mentioned, I like how comprehensive your reviews are, so I'll still take a look at that despite having already made the purchase.

I'm also glad to hear that hinge design has a good track record of durability. That was my one concern with the machine, but, since I have no five year olds to worry about, it sounds like I shouldn't have any issues. Thanks again for the expert opinion and insight.

DiemPraeclarum

Reged: 11/20/12
Loc: Merced CA
Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: BenjaminL]
      #43768 - 11/20/12 10:58 AM

I was about to make a thread requesting a review of the Thinkpad Twist. Thankfully I found this thread!

New member here! Thanks for the reviews and keep up the excellent work.

- J.P.

DiemPraeclarum

Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: DiemPraeclarum]
      #43940 - 12/21/12 05:09 AM

Hey Lisa,

I didn't want to start another thread about the Twist, so I figured I'd ask my question here.

The convertible ultra-book class of laptops is exactly what I'm looking for. Don't intend to use it for gaming or anything graphically intensive, only basic productivity stuff and perhaps some programming. I was curious about two things:

1. How severe is the battery life problem with the Twist? I've been hearing a variety of testimonies, some claiming their battery life is as low as 2 hrs on a charge. If this is true, would this even be a usable laptop 1 or 2 years down the road after continued use?

2. Difference in speed between the i5 and the i7 isn't as noticeable as between the i3 & i5? Just wanted to confirm this statement you made in your review, don't want to end up purchasing an i3 and being disappointed.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by DiemPraeclarum (12/21/12 05:09 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: DiemPraeclarum]
      #43941 - 12/21/12 09:49 AM

The SSD version of the Twist definitely has better battery life, but 2 hours seems absurd. There's no way our Twist would ever run out of juice that quickly. Perhaps there's a power management bug or folks are turning of Lenovo power management and thus getting such poor runtimes?

Yes, the diff between the Core i3 and i5 is significant. Get the Core i5. But the diff between the i5 and i7 is much less significant. I find the Core i5 fine and I do more than basic productivity with my Ultrabooks.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

DiemPraeclarum

Re: ThinkPad Twist Questions [Re: LisaG]
      #43945 - 12/21/12 01:08 PM

Thanks Lisa!

I think I'm going to make this purchase. Most of the reviews I had seen were posted by people I didn't think had very much experience managing power on their devices. When you guys did your battery tests, what settings did you have configured? And I'm assuming this was continuous use?

I've been following this thread on the Lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/ThinkPad-Twist-Battery-Life/td-p/906327

Also seem to be getting a bad impression of Lenovo customer support, hopefully if there is some bugs with their power management software, they'll release a fix quickly. I really want to make this ultrabook convertible work, just worried about the poor battery life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage