MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Kimonoskunk

Reged: 01/02/13
Loc: Pennsylvania
Needing advice for a tablet, convertible, or laptop for artist...
      #43986 - 01/04/13 06:55 AM

Hellos all here, and good day...
I am a new member here and have read a LOT and watched quite a few reviews and videos of all the nice compys coming out.
I decided on some gifts for my wife and daughter and myself for IncomeTax Time, (and because I am on Workers comp for an (drawing) arm injury and couldn't really provide a good enough Christmas this year because of that.) The comps are a gift to my family for sticking with me through the mess through the year.

My wife will be getting an All in One desktop from Asus with touchscreen, daughter who is 8 will be getting a Galaxy Note 10 in white, as she LOVES drawing the MLP ponies and she's quite good as well. I love encouraging her to draw, unlike my parents when I grew up.
So with those two members taken care of for now, I now have a dilemma. What can I get?

I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Cintiq CQ60 boat-anchor laptop, but with what I have NO CLUE OR IDEA. About me: I'm an artist as a hobby, (just sketching, pencils on paper mainly) and I do love drawing. I did have a Cintiq 12 some years ago and I LOVED it, but had to sell to pay some bills. I prefer laptops, but looking for something that does not require a crane to lift off my lap, or makes my house lights dim when I turn on the power.
But with all the new choices, I am reading and re-reading and reading again about the different ones out now, it's annoying my wife, and she says for me to just 'pick one'.
I think I can ask what you can suggest be best for me? New or even used is good, but I am leaning towards new, or mebee a year old tops.
The Requirements are: (for laptop, tablet, and convertible) Wacom Stylus usable, Touchscreen, Backlit Keyboard, and not too expensive. (Why I also chose used or reurbished)

But here's the hard part... I LOVE the convertibles, laptop-tablets, laplets, pad-tops? ya know the ones that flip, flop, and flutter around the room when ya sneak up behind them and scare them at 2:30 AM? I seen and liked the Dell XPS 12 and loved how the screen flipped and became a tablet, and that came with a backlit keyboard as well. But from what I read, I can't use a Wacom Stylus with it, (CRIES) and it was $1200 dollars... OWW Major wallet cramp.
(I did see a used XPS Windows 7 with the flip screen on Amazon and Ebay, but I wasn't sure about it being artist and Wacom friendly, and wasn't backlit.)
Then there was the Lenovo Yoga that was able to contort itself around and backwards, (kinda like my brain is in trying to choose something here.) and I liked the look. Interesting about getting a sleeve to protect the keys in tablet form, but I read some quality issues with the paint coming off the frame (reported by other owners in a forum I read from) already within a few weeks, and that's unthinkable for a expensive lap-let. I seen ads for the Transformer Book that has the laptop with the backlit keyboard dock, but no one is saying when or how much it will be. GAHHHHHSS !!!!

My questions are, Can a regular laptop with a touchscreen, and lit keyboard, like the Acer 5 Timeline support the Wacom Stylus, and be good for drawing on screen? As I seen a Windows 8 model at BB for $529. If not, what can you suggest? I am even half arsed tempted to get a separate laptop and a Samsung Galaxy Note for myself so I can draw again, without using daughter's own Note 10. I'd even choose just the Note 10 myself, as I like the idea of a tablet being a laptop replacement, but are they powerful enough?

Any advice will be most helpful.

(I am also retraining myself to draw again left handed, as I suffered a right arm nerve injury that almost destroyed 70% use of my drawing hand. But I am still determined to draw, I will even use my teeth if I have to. Hee !!!)

Thank you all for being so kind, bows in thanks,
Kimono-skunk. <><

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Needing advice for a tablet, convertible, or laptop for artist... [Re: Kimonoskunk]
      #43994 - 01/05/13 03:08 PM

The Note 10.1 would certainly be a very lightweight and relatively affordable solution to the drawing dilemma. If you want a Windows 8 convertible with touch, an active digitizer/pen and a backlit keyboard, the Sony Vaio Duo 11 is the best pick right now. It uses and N-Trig rather than Wacom digitizer but the features and pretty much the same. I have one and I love it. It's also powerful enough to be your primary computer. We have a review on our site.

The old Dell Windows 7 with the flip screen was a slow Intel Atom machine that I wouldn't recommend. It was a budget product vs. the premium XPS 12.

The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga lacks an active digitizer + pen combo. If a machine doesn't ship with an active digitizer, there's no way to use a Wacom or N-Trig pen. Your only alternative is to go with a separate Wacom pad connected via the USB port, but then you don't get to draw directly on the work of art.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2172

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage