Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad mini Case Review: Shockdrop Case for iPad Mini Review
      #44230 - 02/14/13 06:59 PM

iPad mini Case Review: Shockdrop Case for iPad Mini Review

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5

What's Hot: Adds a LOT of drop and moisture protection yet I can still hold my device in the palm of my hand. Includes a screen protector for those of you who like those things.

What's Not: While it doesn't add a lot of width or height to your iPad Mini, the Shockdrop adds a lot of thickness.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The Shockdrop by Hard Candy Cases is a very rugged case for your iPad Mini. It features a thick, knobby silicone cover over a hard plastic skeleton. Although your device will be larger and heavier once this is installed, it will still be small and light enough for you to hold and use it in the palm of one hand.

Size and Fit

The Shockdrop installs easily and fits great. All ports, buttons, and switches are still fully accessible, and the thick tire-tread like texture feels great in your hand. As with all rugged cases, however, this one will replace your Mini's thin frame and clean lines with delightful chunkiness. You can't have protection with protective layers, and the better the protection, the thicker the layers.

Features and Quality

Unlike many tablet and phone cases that don't look like they could protect your precious device from harsh language let alone a sizeable drop, cases marketed as rugged, are expected to be functional as well as fashionable. In this regard, the Shockdrop from Hard Candy delivers nicely. Over the last few years, I've reviewed quite a few rugged tablet cases and I've always known within the first few seconds whether or not I could actually trust them, and I trust the Shockdrop. This is important because there are two types of iPads: those that have been dropped, and those that will be dropped. This is why I always ensconce my devices in too much protection rather than too little; especially in light of the fact that I have children.

In addition to excellent drop protection, the Shockdrop Case also feature thick, snug flaps over the docking port, headphone jack, and mute switch (the power switch and volume buttons are completely covered). These flaps won't protect against submersion, but they will certainly keep large amounts of airborne moisture, dust, and debris out of those sensitive areas without compromising your ability to access them when necessary. Lastly, the cameras are fully accessible.

Style

If you're going for rugged, I say go all-in like the Shockdrop. There's no way you can add protection without adding bulk so you might as well make it look tough, as well. The Shockdrop has a knobby tire-tread texture that will resist slipping out of your sweaty hands and it has a very aggressive look to it. If you're hoping for a bit of flash, however, you're in luck as this case is also available in red with black trim.

Summary

The Shockdrop by Hard Candy has become my everyday case. It provides great protection, looks cool, and I can still hold it in the palm of my hand. If you want rugged protection for your iPad Mini, you'd be hard-pressed to find better.

Price: $49.95
Web site: Hard Candy Cases

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon Black Version

Buy it from Amazon Red Version

Check out our iPhone Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7840

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage