Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone 5 Battery Case Review: Mophie Juice Pack Air for iPhone 5 Review
      #44652 - 05/08/13 09:59 AM

iPhone 5 Battery Case Review: Mophie Juice Pack Air for iPhone 5 Review

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5

What's Hot: 1700mAh battery doubles your iPhone's capacity. Soft touch plastic construction makes it easier to hold onto without turning your pocket inside-out. Bottom of case slides off in seconds so you can dock/charge your phone without completely uninstalling the case.

What's Not: Requires the use of a headphone adaptor (included).

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The Juice Pack Air provides 1700 mAh of power yet doesn't add a lot of bulk to your iPhone 5's svelte lines.

Size and Fit

Mophie's latest Juice Pack for the iPhone 5 installs quickly and easily. The case is comprised of two pieces that stay together by the friction created between your phone and the case. The Juice Pack Air has a soft inner lining that won't damage your phone, however this lining does a great job of clinging to the smooth surface of your phone. This is superior to clips or latches because there is nothing to wear out or break from repeated installations/uninstallations. It fits like a glove, and is surprisingly slender considering the fact that it contains both a battery and a lightning connector.

Features and Quality

The main feature of the Juice Pack Air is, of course, the juice it provides. 1700 mAh battery will effectively double the capacity of your iPhone, which is nothing to sneeze at. After a week of daily use, I found the battery to be robust and long-lasting, and while I can't say for certain that my battery life is doubled, it's darn close. The bottom of the case removes easily for charging/docking/syncing, although all of these things can be done via the case's mini USB jack. Mophie threw-in it's usual quality features to enhance usability, such as an LED power indicator and a standby switch in case you want to exercise your iPhone's battery before using the case's. The case itself is made of soft touch plastic that doesn't get slippery in sweaty hands yet doesn't get covered in lint while sitting in your pocket. Lastly, the case comes fully charged in case you are buying this on the run and need immediate power. My only gripe is that you need a headphone adaptor while using this case (with most headphones) due to the fact that the jack must be accessed by way of a narrow hole that passes through the thick lower portion of the case. This is most likely unavoidable due to Apple's decision to relocate the headphone jack next to the charge/sync port.

Style

The Juice Pack Air is available in black, white, and red/black. Not the brightest or most eye-catching colors, but they all feature clean lines, and professional styling. The Air may not be fashionable, but it's also not distracting, which is probably more important to most people.

Summary

The Juice Pack Air is a great battery case for the iPhone 5. It's well-made and the battery can hold its own with the one built-into your phone (not all external batteries can make this claim). If you need the power, this is currently the one to beat.

Price: $99.95
Web site: mophie

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon Black Version

Buy it from Amazon Dark Metallic Version

Check out our iPhone Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone 5 Battery Case Review: Mophie Juice Pack Air for iPhone 5 Review [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #44655 - 05/08/13 10:44 AM

Although it isn't Mophie's fault, there is still no one who has figured out how to make a true sync and charge battery case for the Lightning connector. It would sure be great if someone could do it, since this is the only way to incorporate a battery case into your setup that is truly seamless. WiFi syncing is slow, unreliable, and did I mention SLOW?

Apple themselves sells Mophies. They know they are popular. Don't tell me Apple made it impossible!

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3616

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage