MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Notebooks - Laptops

Pages: 1
jyblood

Reged: 04/28/13
Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie
      #44604 - 04/29/13 09:28 PM

Well, not really a newbie, but so old that I know nothing again. The last time I was involved in making boot disk and putting on Operating Systems it was DOS 3.0 ( I will not mention CPM ). Make the disk bootable, copy MSDOS.sys and IO.sys over to it, and then copy any untilities.

Now, based upon reviews here, I have aquired a Samsung Series 7 Ultra book. I want to upgrade the memory, which I have on order. This seems no different than in the old days. Now I also want to upgrade the SSD and I have one on order.

Now the questions, so as not to hijack the other thread:

I want first to make a bootable USB,do a out of box system backup on it, and install the restoration utility on it. The point is to have one 'disk' that can be used to restore the system to factory defaults in the case of a system failure. I need a little nudge in the correct direction ( there is alot of information out there and I am in overload ).

I want to secondly make a clean Windows 8 Pro install, and then install my programs. Then I want to make a another bootable USB with my 'configured' system restoration files on it, and a restoration utility.

I also would like to get a assembler on it. It has been a while, but would like to try my hand at coding again. I can not seem to find MASM, or it's new equivalent. I expect that my old version 1.0 will not run.

Thx's, Jason.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie [Re: jyblood]
      #44656 - 05/08/13 08:46 PM

Yep, upgrading RAM works the same as in the old days.

If you want to make a backup, I highly recommend using Samsung Recovery. It can makes a bootable backup of the recovery partition in case you want to restore the machine to its factory state at some point. You'll need a 32 gig USB flash drive in my experience, even though the backup uses around 16 gigs (it will fail with a 16 gig flash drive but works fine with a 32 gig drive).

If you want to install Windows 8 Pro rather than the OS image that came with the machine, I wouldn't recommend using a restore function afterward because you'll get driver mismatches and there are differences between Win 8 Home Premium that comes with the machine and Win 8 Pro. Just back up your personal files instead and plan on re-installing any apps you've added. You'll want to download Samsung Update from their website: that's the app that downloads all the drivers and if you like it can also reinstall the bundled programs (you can pick and choose among the apps).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

jyblood

Re: Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie [Re: LisaG]
      #44677 - 05/12/13 03:12 PM

Well I made a recovery USB with the included recovery utility, but I am sure that it is not being used. I went into the bios and set it to boot from a USB ( Secure Boot off, etc. ). I then put in the USB, rebooted, and the recovery utility came up. I believe it is actually not running on the USB. If I pull it ( bad practice ), the recovery still runs and completes correctly.

???

Thx's

jyblood

#44682 - 05/13/13 03:17 PM

Now I am up to swapping out the HD. I got a crucial M4 256GB msata drive, but I need a cable to clone this. Is this a USB to 1.8 Micro Sata cable?

Thx's

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #44690 - 05/14/13 09:18 AM

Unfortunately, the mSATA (mini SATA) and micro SATA connectors are different.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

eth3rton

Reged: 04/21/13
Loc: KY - USA
Re: Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie [Re: LisaG]
      #44695 - 05/14/13 09:18 PM

jyblood - I just went through the same thing when swapping out the 128gb mSata for a 240gb Intel mSata drive. I tried several times to make a backup of the original drive with Samsung's utility but was unsuccessful. I ended up just making a bootable USB Windows 8 64bit core ISO and doing a fresh install. Your Win8 key is locked away in your BIOS and will need a program like the one described here : http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-8-product-key-finder-tool-free-download-for-32-bit-and-64-bit/. Once you get the key register your fresh copy with Microsoft online. After you got it up and running/registered download the Samsung Updater program I linked in the original review (comments section) here : http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Samsung-Series-7-Ultra.htm. Then just choose what programs you want (i.e NOT Norton!) and install away!

Hope this helps!

jyblood

Re: Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie [Re: eth3rton]
      #44696 - 05/14/13 10:21 PM

Sorry, you lost me: 64bit core ISO ---> where do I get this?

Thx's,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3731

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage