MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
bfarns

Reged: 06/25/13
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ultrabooks....A number of good options
      #44897 - 06/27/13 08:39 AM

Hello I'm looking to purchase an ultrabook. After having watched many of MTR's videos the past couple of days as I recover from ACL surgery, I've narrowed my options down to the following products.

MBA 2013 - new processor, superior battery life, reliable operating system.... But I think many other ultrabooks trump the MBA in other areas.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 - great screen, processor.... But the review video's mentioning of a flexy keyboard due to the carbon fibre was kind of a turn off.

Asus 31A - great screen, and reliable features.... this was the one I was originally aiming to buy, but the fingerprint-prone keyboard has me looking elsewhere

Samsung Series 7 -- great screen, nice port options, upgradeable RAM and SSD.... im leaning towards the Samsung right now.

Bestbuy in the US has the $999 option with 4gb ram and 128 SSD..... Canada's Bestbuy has a Samsung Series 7 model with 8gb ram and 256 SSD for $1269.... is the latter a good deal or am I better off upgrading the ram and ssd myself?
Would it be wise to wait until other Haswell models come out?

I would be very appreciative of any and all constructive feedback that people feel like sharing.... Thank you and have a good day and week.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Ultrabooks....A number of good options [Re: bfarns]
      #44903 - 06/27/13 05:06 PM

That sounds like a reasonably good deal and you don't have to go through the hassle of imaging the SSD to a new SSD. 4 gigs of RAM would cost you $50 and a decent 256 gig mSATA SSD drive is at least $200 (US pricing). And if you want dual channel RAM and find your single DIMM isn't matching up for dual channel with the stock 4 gig stick, they you're looking at around $80 to $90 for a matched set of 4 gig DIMMs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

bfarns

Reged: 06/25/13
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Ultrabooks....A number of good options [Re: LisaG]
      #44904 - 06/27/13 08:00 PM

Thank you for the swift response, Lisa. I'm still considering the options. Have a nice week.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage