Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Battery Review: MyCharge Amp 4000 Portable Battery Pack Review
      #44986 - 07/16/13 06:12 PM

Portable Battery Review: MyCharge Amp 4000 Portable Battery Pack Review

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4

What's Hot: 4000mAh of power will at least triple the battery life of your phone. Compact. All ports have protective covers. Standard USB output. Charges via standard mini USB cable (included).

What's Not: Because it only puts out 1.0A, it will not charge larger tablets like iPads, which require 2.0A.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The AMP 4000 is a portable battery pack. It is compact, sturdy, and with a battery capacity of 4000mAh, your phone will likely run for days on it.

Size and Fit

At 4" x 2" x 1", the AMP 4000 is not only small enough for purses, briefcases, and backpacks, it will fit comfortably in most pockets.

Features and Quality

As you can likely tell by its name, the AMP 4000 holds 4000mAh of power. Since most cell phones have batteries that weigh-in at 2000mAh or less, some simple math leads to the inescapable conclusion that this particular battery will at least triple the battery life of your device. In my tests with an iPhone 5, I found this to be the case; with a few mAh to spare, even. Because the AMP 4000 will likely spend its life buried in purses/backpacks/etc, I was particularly pleased to see that the ports are covered by an attached plastic flap, which should prevent the USB ports from filling up with lint, dust, and hair. It charges via an included mini USB cable, and charges other devices via a standard USB port. If your device happens to charge by way of a mini USB cable, you can simply turn the included cable around and charge your device with it. Otherwise, be prepared to BYOC (bring your own cable). While charging, an indicator light will change colors to indicate the charge level. This also doubles as a button, which can be depressed to get a ballpark idea of the device's remaining charge. Although MyCharge's website describes the AMP 4000 as supporting tablets, its inability to output 2.0A means it will only charge smaller devices that pull 1.0A unless you are willing to turn larger devices off and wait an excruciatingly long time for them to trickle charge. This is forgivable; however, as the 4000mAh capacity means it wouldn't be able to fully charge most tablets, anyway. Thankfully, the AMP 6000 and AMP 6000 XT both support 2.0A output, so if you need to charge an iPad on the go, I recommend you spend the extra $10 and pick one of those up instead.

Style

The AMP 4000 features a rubberized grey exterior, with dark grey end caps. It's also nicely engineered with clean lines, and feels sturdy and solid.

Summary

The MyCharge AMP 4000 is a great little battery pack for smartphones and small tablets. It's reasonably priced, yet doesn't feel cheap in any way. If you need to charge anything larger, however, I recommend something from MyCharge's 6000 series.

Price: $39.99
Web site: myCharge

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our battery pack reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6534

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage