Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Blog: Top Five Nonexistent iOS Apps
      #44992 - 07/17/13 01:46 PM

Everyone and their mother has a list of their favorite iOS apps. Although some of these lists come in handy, it's not that hard to simply find an app and say you like it. So rather than just picking some of my favorite apps from the App Store, allow me instead to present:

The Top Five Nonexistent iOS Apps

1. Ambrosia Games

Games from Ambrosia Software were once a staple among Mac owners. Bubble Trouble provided fishy fun, Maelstrom brought new attitude to the classic Asteroids formula, Apeiron was possibly the best centipede-style game ever, Mars Rising and its sequel Deimos Rising were awesome space shooters - and that's only some of the games that made Ambrosia famous.

If you want to download these classics for your iPhone or iPad... you can't! I am truly baffled why Ambrosia didn't port any of their classic games to iOS. It almost feels like there is a hole in the App Store without them. Instead, Ambrosia now finds itself having laid off many of its critical employees and combating rumors that they have gone out of business. I can't help but wonder what might have been.

2. Firefox

Firefox is one of the most popular browsers on the desktop (if not the most popular), and they do make mobile versions for other platforms. Wouldn't an iOS version be nice?

Now I know what you're thinking, Apple would never allow another mobile browser to challenge Safari. But they actually would: Opera and Google Chrome are available for iOS.

Now I know what else you're thinking: the licensing terms of the App Store have conflicts with open source software, and that is probably what is preventing any Mozilla-based browsers from showing up on iOS. Okay, I will grant that this is partially Apple's fault. But wouldn't it be nice if they could work this out?

3. Smash TV

Old-school (well, medium-old-school) gamers may remember this game from around the Super Nintendo era: you've been dropped into a vicious futuristic game show, and you pretty much just have to shoot everything in sight while a cruel host mocks you. Sadly, this game has pretty much faded out nowadays, and it isn't available for many modern devices. I'd buy that for a dollar!... or even $5 or $10!

4. Blackberry Messenger

Blackberry told us that BBM for iOS was supposed to arrive on June 27. It didn't. Although it is still supposed to be coming eventually, not only has Blackberry missed its own release date for the app, but quite frankly they have also missed the time frame when people would still have found the app to be relevant.

I'm going to be honest here... the fifth item on this list was supposed to be Glider, another classic Mac game. For years, I lamented why the paper airplane fun never made its way to iOS. There were some lame attempts at cloning the game, but they didn't live up to the classic.

Well just as I was about to write this blog, I discovered that Glider for iOS is finally here! I suppose I could cram a random fifth item here to pad the blog, but instead, I'm just going to tell you to go buy Glider! Seriously! Buy it!

-----------------------------------------------------

Read our latest iPhone and iPad Game Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3233

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage