MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
bigsnack

Reged: 07/25/13
Loc: California
Looking for work tablet.
      #45036 - 07/25/13 09:23 PM

I am looking for a new tablet as a stop gap until quad core Atoms and AMD pen enabled tablets come out; but, I am not sure what really to get. My budget is $400 or less, new or refurb/open box.

I guess I could be fine with RT(but I have read to avoid Tegra 3 models as the S4 models are suppose to be better). I would like both a full size SD and USB port, but I guess at this point I will take one or the other. I would like a pen, but I doubt I would find one at this price. If it's an Atom device I would prefer the latest Atom cpu, as many of these devices I think get 6 hours or more of battery. As for space 64gb would also be nice if I can get it within my needs. As for screen as long as it is above average(i.e. not like the W3), it should be all good, well I would like colors to look natural, but not sure if that's possible within my budget.

The Note 8 seems nearly perfect, but I already have an Android phone, which I feel becomes a bit redundant. Would have been perfect it was an RT or Atom device.

Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking for work tablet. [Re: bigsnack]
      #45037 - 07/25/13 10:15 PM

Yes, Windows 8 Intel Atom tablets generally get better than 6 hours of battery life. The Asus VivoTab ME400 is one of the least expensive and is pretty decent. You can find the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 with pen for $556 on Lenovo's website and you might find it cheaper at an online retailer (be warned that there are versions with and without the pen and retailers sometimes don't tell you which they have, unlike Lenovo). And lastly, the Galaxy Note 8.0 is a great tablet if you want a pen, even if it does seem redundant.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

bigsnack

Re: Looking for work tablet. [Re: LisaG]
      #45038 - 07/25/13 11:04 PM

Well I want full office, and I don't like the office apps currently being offered on Android.

The Lenovo seems the most ideal, as does the Ativ 500t, but I can't seem to find one within my budget range(in the case of the Lenovo the penless model comes close, but it's like going to a steak joint, famous for it's steak and getting a cheese salad, good, but not what their known for).

The Vivo seems pretty close to my needs and budget wise the the 64gb is perfect, but the lack of a full size usb is a turn off. How is the screen quality on that? Also, are Atom tablets still having standby and battery issues, or has that been solved?

How does the Ativ Tab RT compare? I noticed on Amazon(for about 430 refurbished) has it on sale despite the talks that it wasn't suppose to come state side? I like the fact that it has full size usb, but 32gb seems a bit small. :/ Thank you for the reply.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #45039 - 07/25/13 11:32 PM

I'd got with full Windows rather than RT if you can afford it, since you can install standard Windows programs too. But for MS Office, RT is great. The screen quality on the Asus VivoTab ME400 is pretty good.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

bigsnack

Re: Looking for work tablet. [Re: LisaG]
      #45040 - 07/26/13 01:30 AM

But, do Atom Tablets have no more power standby power issue? I think I can worth with RT as it would be device to tide me over for the next 7-10 months. All I really want is 6 hours+ and full size USB with a acceptable display and performance. I don't think I was able to locate the review for your ME400, or the RT variant?

How is the Ativ Tab RT?

Between Tegra 3 and S4, which is the better cpu for W8? I know on Android side S4 seems to be the better performing cpu, but is that that case for W8?

bigsnack

#45041 - 07/26/13 01:39 AM

What are the difference between the Tab 5 and the 500T, beside the name chage? Amazon says the Series 5 is the newer version, of the 500T.

I noticed I can get the Yoga 11 RT for about $425, refurbished, how does that compare to the other device I am looking at in my price range? I really don't want to go over $370 optimally, but if the Yoga is really that much better I may go for it. Size is not that key as my last machine was a 11in weighing in at 2.6lbs.

Edited by bigsnack (07/26/13 01:54 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2416

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage