MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
altofame

Reged: 08/08/13
Tablet for note taking
      #45109 - 08/09/13 03:30 AM

Please recommend me a tablet to be used solely for note-taking and pdf annotating. I am considering between Lenovo's Tablet 2 and Microsoft Surface Pro. I like the Tablet 2's long battery life, but I have seen from some reviews that the machine gets a little laggy when annotating multiple pages of pdf file (which is what I want to use it for). I like everything about the surface pro except the poor battery life. I also work part-time as a TA, so I need the machine to be able to hook up to another display while writing down a lot of equations and schematics (most likely using one-note). I live in Thailand and the 64GB Tablet 2 (not the Win8 pro version) sells for $886, while the 128GB Surface is $1050. I have also considered the duo13(i5 128GB, the only model available here) which sells at $1666 but that would be too much since I am also considering buying another laptop (don't really like the convertible form factor). At this point what really would fits me is the rumored Surface2. But I need to make the purchase before the end of this month.

I would like to ask if you could give me an advice based on your experience with both of these machines? Or would you recommend me to wait for next-gen Surface? Based on the fact that it hasn't even been announced yet, I find that to be very unlikely. It would also be great if you could add other viable options to the pool.

Always love your reviews. Your help would be highly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tablet for note taking [Re: altofame]
      #45111 - 08/09/13 09:54 AM

You've picked two of the better choices. Given the price diff isn't that much and the significantly stronger Core CPU in the Surface Pro, I'd go with that. It will handle long PDF annotation better and generally be much faster at all tasks. Until we hear something more concrete about the Surface Pro 2, it's hard to recommend waiting for it, especially when you need something this month.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

altofame

Reged: 08/08/13
Re: Tablet for note taking [Re: LisaG]
      #45116 - 08/11/13 04:56 AM

Thank you for your reply Lisa. Just out of curiosity if you get to pick between the older Helix (i5,4G RAM,180 GB storage, not Win8Pro, w/o 3G) which sells for $1730 and the newer $1666 Duo13 (i5, 4G RAM, 128 GB storage) which one would you choose and why? And to further consider things, the Helix uses Wacom digitizer, while the Duo13 uses N-trig, are there any noticeable difference in terms of note-taking between these two?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tablet for note taking [Re: altofame]
      #45118 - 08/11/13 11:15 AM

Personally, I'd pick the Duo 13-- the larger screen size and slider design work well for me. Sony has a good sale on customized Duo 13's, and for that price you can probably score some upgrades like more RAM, the i7-4500U or a 256 gig SSD. I actually prefer N-Trig for note taking because the pen is more accurate near the edges of the screen. You do have to make sure the Duo sees the pen before you lay your hand down on the screen though, since it has a shorter hover distance than Wacom.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2124

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage