MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Jagst3r15

Reged: 04/03/13
Retina MacBook Pro
      #45220 - 09/04/13 12:29 PM

Hi all,

I am going to buy a new 13 inch MacBook Pro when the Haswell ones come out soon, but am not sure about the Retina option. Is it worth it to buy it with just a one year warranty or should I buy Apple Care too since the device is soldered together and cannot be repaired by the user if it breaks (I expect it to last me 4-5 years). My biggest issue with the non-retina 13 inch is that the screen resolution is not very high and by the time you pay for an SSD and more RAM and install it yourself you are in a decent amount anyway. Screen real estate is kind of important to me as well, since I do web development. Using Photoshop on the non-retina 13 inch is kind of a headache (everything is squeezed together).

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Retina MacBook Pro [Re: Jagst3r15]
      #45245 - 09/07/13 01:12 PM

I agree that upgrading a standard MBP 13" with SSD and more RAM runs into Retina 13" Pricing. I think Apple is nudging folks to buy the Retina. You could pay for 4-5 years years worth of Apple Care, or alternatively, if something does go wrong you could take it to a Genius Bar and pay Apple to fix it. Warranties are like that-- you might never use it and then you've thrown several hundred dollars away. But if you do use it, there's a chance that the repair cost exceeds those Apple Care payments over the years (and you come out ahead). From personal experience, I haven't had a Mac die an expensive death, so I wouldn't buy Apple Care.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Retina MacBook Pro [Re: LisaG]
      #45246 - 09/08/13 07:50 PM

The default "retina" option actually doesn't give you any additional screen real estate. It gives you the same amount of real estate, but everything looks super sharp (except in programs that don't support it, then it's just regular).

You can go into the System Preferences and change the retina display to act as just a high-resolution display, and then you do get more space, but be aware that this will make things look really small!

I love my 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro, but if screen real estate is your number one concern, I am a bit puzzled why you would buy a 13 inch MacBook, retina or not. You might consider something like an iMac (if you can live without the portability, or maybe use something like an iPad with remote access). Even if you need a laptop and you also need space, I would think the 15-inch model would make the most sense.

You can buy up to three years of AppleCare coverage from Apple. I don't usually buy that, but some people insist it is a good idea.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Jagst3r15

Re: Retina MacBook Pro [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #45256 - 09/09/13 04:01 PM

Well I want it to be portable too and my current budget is only 1500 and I can barely afford that since I am a student, but I know for certain I want a MacBook Pro so please don't tell me there is an ultrabook made by ASUS or something for cheaper, because the build quality on MacBooks is bar none (and this is coming from someone who has only owned Dells - I know you didnt call me out on this, but I'm just sayin`) :-).

Anyway, I was thinking the 13 inch Retina because it already has an SSD and 8 GB of RAM AND a better screen res - which in theory gives you more space since the res is higher, right? For example, Photoshop is squished together on the regular MBP, but on the 13 inch retina is should be more spacious (I think). I have only played with a retina one at the store for a few minutes so I could be wrong. What I do know is that the 13 inch non-retina is way too small for me. The only reason I am hesitant about the retina is because the resolutions on it are kind of confusing as there are scaled ones and then the default one, which isn't the 2650 x whatever is stated as the native one on the apple site(?) I think that HUGE resolution they advertise isn't actually an option, since the pixels just get doubled for crispness or something...

Sorry that was kind of jumbled, but just trying to be wise about this investment :-)

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

#45263 - 09/10/13 10:38 AM

I'm a Mac guy too, and I wasn't trying to steer you toward another brand.

If you are intent on buying the 13-inch model even though you want more screen space, I would recommend going to an Apple store to look at one and trying turning retina mode off to see if you like it, since this is the only way you actually get increased real estate. I think most people probably would not prefer running it that way, but you could see what you think. Then, for heaven's sake, turn retina back on for the next person!

By the way, the pixels don't really get "doubled" in retina mode - that would just make things blocky. They do use "more screen pixels per logical pixel," but they are rendered intelligently for sharpness.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Jagst3r15

#45274 - 09/11/13 11:45 AM

What do your recommend then? Do you think the non-retina will get updated with Haswell? I plan to buy an external monitor since I am a full time web developer so I COULD live with the 13 inch non-retina...

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

#45275 - 09/11/13 12:35 PM

I think it is mostly likely that the non-retina will be updated with Haswell, although there is an outside chance it could just be discontinued altogether.

If you could live with the screen real estate of the non-retina, why not just get the retina and use it in retina mode (so it will look good) and use the external monitor when you need more space?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Jagst3r15

#45276 - 09/11/13 12:40 PM

Well my big issue is that the non-retina might be a pain to repair but I have never owned a mac so maybe they really never break? (e.g. even though I am a student the Apple Care still costs $183 for me). Do you recommend Apple Care for the retina?

P.S. I read that non-retina apps look terrible is this true?

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

#45277 - 09/11/13 06:02 PM

The non-retina model is less difficult to repair than the retina model, but I don't think either one of them could be classified as "easy" to repair.

For the non-retina model, you could do modest upgrades (RAM or hard disk) yourself, but for any repairs I think it's best just to trust an Apple tech.

All my Macs have been very reliable overall, but there is really no such thing as a computer that absolutely never breaks. If you are planning to keep your computer for three years and you want to make absolutely sure you don't get a repair bill, you could get AppleCare (and of course, make sure you don't drop it or get it wet), but I personally rarely get AppleCare.

In my opinion, non-retina apps just look regular on a retina screen, although you may be able to spot some minor degradation of image quality if you look really, really close.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2840

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage