MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Lejendary

Reged: 09/15/13
Loc: Alabama
Which Laptop?
      #45295 - 09/15/13 11:15 PM

I have been digging and searching for a laptop, there are so many different laptops and so many different builds that it's very hard to pin point a good one. So here's what I know I want.

Must have:
Touch Screen
Windows 8 (not rt)
Solid build
HDMI port
i5+

Would like but doesn't need
cd/dvd rom
backlit keyboard
trackpad without buttons (just the big pad, dunno what its called)
Decent resolution
good speakers

Don't really care
weight
height
thickness

My wife will be using it to play her facebook games and some games from the windows store (xbox store). Games like farmville, taptiles, and hide and seek games.

I have reviewed so many different laptops, so far the ones I like are the Acer M5 481pt, Lenovo z400 (I have seen some called the s400 but I dont know the difference), Dell 15z (I think its the inspirion but it could be the xps).

I am sure there are other laptops out there but I just am so tired of digging and digging.

One thing is I have heard that the Z400 has the full i5 not the weaker one. The z400 is supposed to be like 2.6ghz while the others are more like 1.8. Will that make a difference? The knock on the z400 seems to be the hard drive being slow...but I don't know if it has the same, worse, or better hard drive than the other models listed.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Which Laptop? [Re: Lejendary]
      #45305 - 09/16/13 07:12 PM

Yes, the full mobile CPU like that in the Lenovo Z400 is significantly faster at computations. For the things you listed, it sounds like you don't really need that. The full mobile CPU is important for full HD video editing (I don't mean casual and occasional, I mean those who do it many hours/week), calculating huge spreadsheets, compiling large applications (software dev) and for 3D games (BioShock Infinite, Facebook games don't need this).

The buttonless trackpads are used on most laptops these days.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Lejendary

Re: Which Laptop? [Re: LisaG]
      #45306 - 09/16/13 07:19 PM

So would you recommend the Acer M5, the Dell 15z, the Lenovo z400 or one that I didn't mention?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45309 - 09/16/13 09:20 PM

I like the Dell 15z quite a bit and the Lenovo Z400 is a solid machine. I really haven't used the Acer M5 enough to pass judgement on it. And I hate to say it, but there are probably 100 laptops with 10 strong ones that meet your criteria if high portability isn't a factor. Asus has some lovely mid-priced laptops for example, as does Sony (though Sony's tend to be a bit higher priced). The Lenovo U430 might also be worth a look-- we have that in house for review soon.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Lejendary

Re: Which Laptop? [Re: LisaG]
      #45310 - 09/16/13 09:41 PM

I don't doubt what you're saying about their being several laptops that meet my criteria, my issue is finding them all. I have tried to go to CNet but they don't have a touch screen filter so I have to weed out the touch from the not which isn't always easy.

One thing that I am unsure of is the difference (if there even is one) between the Dell Inspiron 15z and the Dell XPS 15z.

If it is at all posssible could you shoot out some names of asus laptops that meet my criteria? Thank you very much for all of your help, i really appreciate it.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45329 - 09/19/13 10:15 AM

If you're looking for a 14 or 15", the Asus VivoBooks are quite nice.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2234

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage