Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Battery Review: Macally Portable Battery Charger for iPhone 5/5s/5c
      #45408 - 10/08/13 11:34 AM

iPhone Battery Review: Macally Portable Battery Charger for iPhone 5/5s/5c

Editor's Ratings: 4

What's Hot: 2600mAh capacity will completely charge your iPhone 5/5S/5C with some juice left over. Plugs directly into your device (no cables). LED charge indicator. Small, durable form factor.

What's Not: Won't work with all cases. Won't charge an iPad.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

Macally's portable batter charger for the iPhone 5 series and the new iPod is small, light, and sturdy. The 2600mAh capacity will completely recharge a dead phone with a little left over.

Size

At approximately 2.5" x 1.5", this battery pack will easily fit in a purse, backpack, briefcase, or even a pocket.

Features and Quality

Macally's Portable Battery Charger for the iPhone 5 series and the new iPod seeks to balance capacity with size, and for the most part succeeds. While I tend to be power-hungry when I'm out and about, and usually prefer batteries with at least 5000mAh of power, I surprisingly found that because of it's diminutive size, I carried it more often and consequently ran out of power less. Further, the fact that I didn't have to lug around a separate charge cable (your phone plugs directly into the device's Lightning Connector) made it even more convenient and accessible. Be forewarned, however, that although Macally thoughtfully extended the Lightning Connector an extra 1/8" from the base, it may not be enough to work with your case. This means you may have to remove your device from its case before plugging it in. Again, this is all about tradeoffs, and I found myself appreciating the ability to charge without a cable enough that I didn't mind removing my case to do so. The battery itself charges by way of mini USB cable, and a small button will illuminate a series of LEDs, which will tell you instantly how much power you have at your fingertips. As with all portable batteries, a little judicious management of the recharging process will result in a bit more life. In general, it's best to begin charging when you're dip just below 30%, and remove the charger when your device reaches 80%. This is because devices pull more amps at the top end of their charge capacity in an effort to push the battery to its full capacity. These are not hard and fast numbers, however, so take this as its intended; a general guideline.

Style

As with most of Macally's accessories, their portable battery charger comes in glossy white.

Summary

The 2600mAh Portable Battery Charger from Macally is small enough to take literally anywhere, yet will at least double your iPhone/iPod's capacity. It's a bit pricier than other batteries of similar capacity, but Lightning connectors aren't cheap, and the inclusion of one here brings a much-appreciated level of convenience. After all, who wants to carry a charge cable wherever they go?

Price: $49.99
Web site: Macally

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our battery and charger reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone Battery Review: Macally Portable Battery Charger for iPhone 5/5s/5c [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #45414 - 10/08/13 11:46 PM

It looks like you can't use the headphone jack while that charger is connected - is that right?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4068

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage