MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Locky

Reged: 10/23/13
Loc: Belgium
Why is it so hard to find something goooooodddd
      #45504 - 10/24/13 02:11 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and new to laptops/ultrabooks and so on, so I guesses it was the right place to ask something. I've seen some of your reviews and liked it.

So, here I am, with my poor english and my impossible request

I'm a digital art student, I started last year and I'm looking for an ultrabook that could suit my needs.

I NEED an integrated wacom digitizer (or I think it's called). Obviously to paint and draw on it! I found some, but many brands and sites don't even specify if their products are able or not to read stylus inputs.
I found the surface pros that could use it, as well as sony products (tho, they don't use wacom's, and heard bad of Ntrig :/ )
I need it to "emulate" the feel of a cintiq (since I don't really have thousands of bucks in my wallet.)

I need it powerful enough to run photoshop without problems, i5 minimum and i7 prefered. (Will use PS, Krita, Art rage and maybe painter x3 if it's strong enough.)
8gigs of ram, 4 sounds not enough at all for big applications.
A ssd. I don't mind a 64gb (can use external storage) but 128 would be far better.
The battery doesn't really matter, its for school and I can get power from there. (but bigger is better of course )
GPU doesn't matter as well, don't intend to play games on it but something able to run blender for little works (Just for school, I can do main works on my desktop pc)
I don't need any fancy accessories, like cameras or even good sound output.

I had my eyes on the microsoft surface pro 2, but 10" screen seems really small for photoshop works. But it's kinda pricey... 1300 for the 8gb ram version for a 10.6" screen is really scary. + Having to buy a 120 keyboard to work with it.

Then I found the sony duos, but as I said earlier, they don't have anything to do with wacom, and Ntrig's pen uses only 256 pressure levels (512 is the minimum I think.)

The dell xps 12 sounded great, but don't have any idea concerning wacom's support.

And then I found acer aspire r7.
This one sounded fabulous; 15" screen, convertible tablet to draw more easily and not overpriced. BUT no wacom stylus!
And now the new r7 version (coming "early" 2014 on some sites and late 2013 on others) sounds just wonderful.
A haswell i5-i7 (more battery) a stylus active pen (but made by Acer ), more ram and more storage, and all this at the nearly same price...

But I can't really wait so long as early 2014 (which could mean march or worse, I guess.)
It's really hard to decide.
Like I said earlier, I don't know much about laptops etc, so I really have no clue on what to really search for.
And haswell is only starting to get involved with the laptop market (Lenovo, acer, asus... No haswell.) And it seems like haswell could be a really nice plus for me.
Better power consumption, a better HD graphic (or Iris, but only for high-end pc's) and not so much more pricey.

TL:DR; An equivalent of the microsoft surface pro 2, with pen pressure, but bigger than 10,6"

Price don't matter that much, but 1500 max.
Thank you for your time, and sorry about the long post

Edited by Locky (10/24/13 02:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Why is it so hard to find something goooooodddd [Re: Locky]
      #45509 - 10/25/13 10:45 AM

There are few tablets and laptops with Wacom or N-Trig pens. They're gaining more popularity now, but manufacturers had relegated them to niche market status back in the tablet PC days before there were touch screens or much interest in this stuff. The Surface Pro 2 would be my pick- great Wacom pen, very portable and fast and you'll get used to the screen size for art work. The Samsung ATIV 700t (reviewed on this site) is an 11.6" competitor still running Intel Ivy Bridge 3rd gen CPUs with 4 gigs of RAM (you'd be surprised that 4 gigs is fine for PS, Painter and other art tools).

Laptop form factor machines rarely have digital pens these days. The Acer Aspire S7 does not have the required active digitizer, nor does the Acer R7. Neither does the Dell XPS 12.

Sony products with N-Trig like the Vaio Duo 13 don't support WinTab, so programs that require WinTab like Photoshop and Painter won't have pressure sensitivity. Rumor is that PS will add support for Windows API pressure sensitivity and then it will work. Art Rage is an alternative, though it requires an update from the factory installed version to get proper pen pressure (due to a bug). N-Trig is actually better at tracking the pen tip, and I don't find 256 levels that limiting in actual use, but the lack of WinTab hurts for several key programs. BTW, Painter absolutely rocks if you do natural media painting with a variety of brushes.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Locky

Reged: 10/23/13
Loc: Belgium
Re: Why is it so hard to find something goooooodddd [Re: LisaG]
      #45513 - 10/25/13 01:22 PM

Thank you for your fast reply!

I guess I'll go with the surface pro 2 then. I just hope the 10.6" will be enough.
Are you sure about the 4gigs being enough? I found myself nearing the 7gigs on my desktop workstation with painter x3.
I don't really want the ram to slows me in a year or two, but I still have a hard time swallowing the 300 more bucks I have to pay to get the 4gigs and the 128gb more storage (Which I don't really need.)

PS: Do you think we'll see more convertible laptops with wacom's hardware in the future? Or do you think they intend to keep it for them to get their owns out (like the wacom cintiq companion)?

Thank you again for you time

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Why is it so hard to find something goooooodddd [Re: Locky]
      #45514 - 10/25/13 10:03 PM

If you're worried, get the 8 gig model-- should certainly be good for a few years. But I've rarely managed to use more than 4 gigs on most Windows 8 convertibles and Ultrabooks. Right now it seems like N-Trig and Synaptics models will be hitting the market, I haven't heard of any Wacom models.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

ktd

Reged: 02/08/13
Re: Why is it so hard to find something goooooodddd [Re: LisaG]
      #45622 - 11/14/13 08:08 PM

Locky: I feel your pain. Seems like all these computes are "almost" devices in that they are good but lack in 1 or more areas. I've been using tablets since 2002 when they were suitcases. I have probably have 6 tablets in my collection and I'm in the hunt for a new one. I told myself I would never buy a convertible but after playing with the Yoga 2 at Best Buy, I think the convertibles are now good enough. Then again I held the new Sony slate and it's thinness was simply amazing.

I use the pen a great deal so although many of these have touch screens and you can use a pen, it's important for the device to have palm rejection. Lisa has commented on this in her videos.

After much deliberation, I think I'm going to get the new Sony Vaio 13. I need the RAM as I utilize Dragon speech recognition which has heavy RAM requirements.

Good luck in your search.

Lisa: absolutely great site; keep up the good work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage