Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Incredipede Review
      #45515 - 10/26/13 02:21 PM

iPad Game Review: Incredipede (Universal) Review

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

Incredipede is a one-of-a-kind physics-based puzzle game that will have you scratching your head as you create, modify, refine, and ultimately send your customized Quozzle on its hazard-filled journey across 120 levels.

Gameplay

With tens of thousands of games on the App Store, sometimes it feels like you've seen it all. I've fired creatures of all shapes and sizes out of slingshots, driven a multitude of different vehicles, and used towers to obliterate zounds of mindless enemies. However, this is the first time I've attached appendages and muscles to a primordial creature and tried to make it move. Of Course, Indie Developers Colin and Sarah Northway are no strangers to innovative and original gameplay. Rebuild, their fantastic turn-based strategy game set against the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse is an iOS classic and occupies a permanent place on the first page of my iPad. Not content to sit on their laurels, Incredipede moves in an entirely different direction in every conceivable way, and still manages to be unique.

The goal of every level is to modify Quozzle so that she is capable of traversing the landscape of the given level. Over the course of three worlds and 120 levels (plus a plethora of user-created levels) you will enable her to slither like a snake, brachiate like an ape, skitter like a spider, and even soar like a bird. There are of course, many, many variations on these appendages, and the levels never feel repetitive or predictable. There is also a sandbox where you can while away the hours just like Dr. Frankenstein would have if he'd had an iPad. The building is only half of it, of course, because you won't know if your creation will succeed until you send her on her way. The controls are dead simple, but that doesn't mean that controlling Quozzle is. There is even a level editor so you can share not only your particularly creative Quozzles, but also entire levels. This library of user-created levels is available within the game, and really adds legs to Incredipede (see what I did there?). If you finish the game's 120 levels and want more, prepare to drink from the firehose. Early versions of Incredipede had some fairly significant bugs, but as far as I can tell, all of them have been squashed. One thing the Northways excel at (besides game design) is customer support. I know this because earlier this year I sent a whiny email to them complaining about the lack of screen rotation in Rebuild. To my surprise, I received not only a response, but also an apology and an explanation from Sarah Northway, herself. Ya gotta love Indie Developers.

Graphics

Incredipede has a fantastically rich art style. The landscape has a wonderful primeval feel that adds boatloads of atmosphere to the game and the parallax effect keeps it from ever looking static or flat. Both Quozzle and her environment are animated with silky smoothness and super crisp images. This attention to detail makes Incredipede not only a pleasure to play, but also look at.

Sound

The sounds and soundtrack are both rich and beautiful. If you're looking for a chink in Incredipede's armor, don't look here.

In-App Purchases (IAPs)

Hurray! Incredipede contains no in-app purchases. Although I am not opposed to IAPs in general, it has been my experience that when a game is released that offers consumables and power-ups purchasable with real money, the game tends to be balanced toward a higher level of difficulty in an effort to compel gamers to shell out to re-balance the game back where it should be. If at some future date, IAPs are added, the fact that it was released without them means they will truly be optional; which is all we can really ask for.

Conclusion

Incredipede is a unique physics-based puzzle game with tons of heart, personality, and polish. Highly recommended.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Beautiful, quirky, and unique. A visual treat.
Sound: - 5 - Leave the music on and grab some headphones. The sound makes a great game even better.
Controls: - 5 - While you may be fighting to solve levels, you won't be fighting with controls. Perfectly implemented.
Gameplay: - 5 - One-of-a-kind physics puzzler with gobs of content.

Playing Hints and Tips:

Start the game in Normal Mode unless you have played Incredipede on another platform. Take your time and be creative. There is no penalty for restarting levels so experiment and tinker. I recommend playing through the included levels before trying user-created levels or the Sandbox as the options will feel overwhelming unless you are familiar with each of them.

App Facts:

Developer: Northway Games
Release Date: September 18, 2013
Price: $3.99
Buy App: Incredipede

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game and app reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game, app and book reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

---

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2406

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage