General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail
      #45525 - 10/29/13 02:29 PM

Depending on how you look at it, the new crop of Intel Bay Trail quad core Atom convertible Windows 8.1 tablets are an amazing value or they're just netbooks with detachable screens. In fact both are true, as we learn with the Asus Transformer Book T100, one of the first Windows 8.1 Bay Trail tablets with detachable keyboard that sells for just $349- $399. For the price you get a 10.1" IPS touch screen, long battery life, a light tablet and full Windows, not the RT version. Impressive, yes? Better yet, the keyboard dock and MS Office 2013 Home and Student Edition are included.

Read and watch our Asus Transformer Book T100 Review

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ilovetofu

Reged: 07/08/13
Loc: USA
Re: Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail [Re: LisaG]
      #45529 - 10/29/13 04:35 PM

I believe there is an error in this sentence in the review under the Display section:

'The 1366 x 768 resolution seems well matched to the relatively small 10.6" panel'

I think that should be 10.1" as the T100 does not have a 10.6" screen.

Also, I believe the following sentence should refer to "Surface 2" and not "Surface Pro 2":

'Interestingly enough, the Surface Pro 2 running Windows RT 8.1 on the NVIDIA Tegra 4 feels faster and doesn't lag.'

In addition, can you confirm that the Windows logo on the front of the tablet is in fact a capacitive touch button? I remember viewing or reading a review in which the reviewer mentioned that it is not an active button, but rather just a painted logo, and that the actual Windows button is located on the side of the device.

Anyhow, a fantastic review as always! Thank you Lisa! I'm waiting for this device to become more widely available before I pick one up.

P.S., unscrupulous youtubers are already ripping off your review.

Edited by LisaG (10/29/13 06:27 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail [Re: ilovetofu]
      #45532 - 10/29/13 06:31 PM

I'm pretty fond of tofu too. Thanks for catching the typo and for letting us know about the latest YouTube thieves. I've removed their URLs so they don't get more traffic. It's really a constant problem these days on YouTube- video theft.

The button on the front is really a capacitive Windows home button. Microsoft requires that every tablet have it. Perhaps someone else had a defective tablet where it didn't work (LOL, I wouldn't be surprised). There's also a Windows 8 bug where tablets sometimes temporarily stop responding to the home button... maybe because it gets disabled on some models with keyboard docks when the tablet is docked and the OS forgets to reenable it when undocked.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ilovetofu

Re: Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail [Re: LisaG]
      #45533 - 10/29/13 06:49 PM

Thank you for confirming, Lisa. I'm looking forward to playing with the T100 and I hope to get a unit that isn't buggy!

ilovetofu

Re: Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail [Re: ilovetofu]
      #45549 - 11/01/13 08:31 AM

It is odd that laptopmag's review and video insist that the front Windows logo isn't a real touch button:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBncBcPV1Kk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m27s

And the user's guide from Asus doesn't mention or show it either (page 14):

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/T100TA/E_eManual_T100TA_VER8516.pdf

Anyway, I just ordered the 64gb from newegg, and I hope you are correct about it actually being a capacitive button! No biggie if it isn't though, this still seems like a nice little Windows tablet/convertible for the money.

nolrac

Reged: 12/18/13
      #45787 - 12/19/13 08:00 AM

Just Purchased 32 gb windows 8.1 model. Seemed fine until tried to activate Microsoft office and got message need more memory available to install. Have not downloaded any programs apps etc. Only did windows update and asus update out of the box. Anyone have this problem or any ideas on what might be the issue. PS activation key for office is recognized as good. Thanks.

Edited by nolrac (12/19/13 08:01 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Asus Transformer Book T100 Review: $399 Windows 8.1 Convertible with Bay Trail [Re: nolrac]
      #45788 - 12/19/13 10:45 AM

There's the drawback of the 32 gig Windows PCs: not enough room on the C drive to install very large updates like this. The Windows 8.1 upgrade is 3.5 gigs and it needs additional temporary space to unpack the files before installing. I'm guessing you have less than 7 gigs of free space on C:, and that's why it's failing. Try right clicking on your C drive and choosing disk clean up- clean up system files. That will get rid of old Windows update files that take up a lot of space. And if you've installed large programs like 3D games or Adobe CS, you may have to uninstall them, then re-install them after the update.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage