Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Kent

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Madrid, Spain
Tablet? Ultrabook? I don't know...
      #45496 - 10/24/13 06:53 AM

Hey everyone! I'm looking to buy a new portable device. I currently have a Macbook 2007 edition with windows on it, and I want to upgrade it. I want to get something, without a doubt, thinner, lighter and more portable. I believe it has a 13.3 inch display. I use it for work, and now I just leave it there because it's just too darn heavy and bulky.

I was thinking of getting a Surface Pro 2, which is fairly powerful, but then I just saw the review and it is kind of small. But the fact that it's an i5 makes it kind of like a desktop replacement when I'm not home which is great! I can do most of the things I'd normally do on the go!

But then again I thought I don't need that much power.

Could you recommend any other decent windows ultrabooks or tablets? Having a keyboard is essential for me. Size, I can go up to 13 inches as my Macbook right now. I weight? It MUST be lighter than it's 5+ lbs please! The weight is killing me! haha.

It needs to have windows and decent battery life (at least 5 hours?) It doesn't need to be a powerhouse, I'd be happy with an i3. I mostly use it for powerpoint presentations and slapping together some silly things in fireworks (nothing intensive), my Macbook 2007 can handle my Fireworks and word processing.

So, could I get any recommendations for tablets or ultrabooks? Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tablet? Ultrabook? I don't know... [Re: Kent]
      #45500 - 10/24/13 05:10 PM

There are many Ultrabooks that match your needs: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (just coming out now), MacBook Air 13", MacBook Pro 13" Retina (just announced and released this week), Samsung ATIV Book 9 and 9 Plus, Acer Aspire S7, Sony Vaio Pro 13, Sony Vaio Duo 13-- we have reviews of them all except the Yoga 2 pro which isn't out for review yet. We'll have the Retina 13" MacBook Pro review up this week. And you could use a monitor on your desk with Surface Pro 2 thereby gaining the best of portability and a desktop experience. For Fireworks, I'd want the Core i5, and i3 lacks Turbo Boost and will seem a little slow when doing intensive tasks.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Kent

Re: Tablet? Ultrabook? I don't know... [Re: LisaG]
      #45554 - 11/01/13 06:43 PM

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the response. I logged in and wrote a response, but I guess it didn't go through

I like the Surface Pro 2 as well as VAIO Duo 13. I saw that pricing would be similar to the Surface Pro 2 through Amazon, which is just great.

Which of these two would you recommend? I'm not a Mac person, the first thing I did was install windows on my macbook, which was a present. In the end I'd get the Surface Pro 128gb with a new version 2 keyboard, which I'm not sure about yet. So, between the Sony and the Microsoft, which would be better?

Thanks a bunch:)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45555 - 11/02/13 03:33 AM

If you think the Surface Pro 2 display size sounds too small, then the Vaio Duo 13 might be a good pick since it has a more standard 13.3" display size. It also has a fantastic display, longer battery life and is a fast performer. For artists, the Surface Pro 2 would be a better pick because Wacom is better supported by art apps, but that wasn't one of the needs you listed.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Kent

Re: Tablet? Ultrabook? I don't know... [Re: LisaG]
      #45556 - 11/02/13 04:27 PM

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the reply!

I like the portability of the Surface Pro 2. But I thought the Surface Pro 2 had a leg up over the Vaio 13. Is this the same one? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SVD13213CXW-1...PC7A_B00CRY012Y

I thought the Surface Pro 2 had the newer version of the i5, as well as better battery life!

Now I'm confused. I saw the video review of the SP1 vs the Vaio 13.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45560 - 11/04/13 04:21 AM

Both the Surface Pro 2 and the Sony Vaio Duo 13 have 4th generation Intel Haswell CPUs. So they both have the latest version of the Intel platform currently available. The Sony Vaio Duo 11 has the older 3rd gen CPU.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2752

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage