MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
gedumer

Reged: 06/27/13
iPad Air for Art/Drawing
      #45593 - 11/10/13 04:57 PM

I've scanned through the various iPad reviews but I don't recall seeing Lisa demonstrating drawing or painting on an iPad. I would love to get lisa's opinion on this issue. I've looked at a number of stylus options for the iPad, such as, Adonit Jot Touch 4, HEX3 Jaja, and Pogo Connect, which all seem to have some sort of pressure sensitivity capability. Have you tried any of these on the iPad Lisa... or anyone else? If so, what do you think?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPad Air for Art/Drawing [Re: gedumer]
      #45594 - 11/11/13 12:33 AM

I admittedly have a tendency to pretty much just recommend iPads no matter what type of work (or play) you want to do - which is why it kind of pains me to say, the iPad just isn't right for that.

The iPad only works with capacitive styli, which are not nearly as precise or accurate as the active digitizer styli used in some other tablets. There are some capacitive styli that attempt to implement pressure sensitivity and palm rejection, but since the iPad's touchscreen itself was not really designed to accommodate those features, I think it is unlikely that they work as well as on tablets that have stylus ability built in.

If you just want to "doodle," then it might be worth a shot, but if you're talking about professional artistic work, I don't think the iPad will give you ideal results.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPad Air for Art/Drawing [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #45606 - 11/13/13 05:12 AM

Jacob's completely correct. I really don't enjoy capacitive styli for drawing: they're fat and imprecise, don't offer true pressure sensitivity or palm rejection. For serious artwork, an active digitizer and pen are much better.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

mxruden

Reged: 04/15/14
Loc: Canada
Re: iPad Air for Art/Drawing [Re: LisaG]
      #46576 - 06/13/14 12:47 AM

I don't know if this is outdated by now but I've been looking for styluses for my iPad Air and noticed that Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus sounds really good for art/drawing. Check it out if you're still looking.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2845

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage