MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
lornix

Reged: 11/21/13
Loc: Oakland, CA
Thoughts on Lenovo Yoga 11s vs. 2 Pro
      #45656 - 11/22/13 12:07 AM

Now that I see that a Haswell refresh of the 11s is out (at least at Best Buy) - I am wondering if you have any thoughts on these two. My primary concerns would be that I do like my Civ 5 - and am unsure whether the slightly downgraded specs on the 11s (core i5 4210Y vs core i5 4200U cpus - Intel 4200 vs. 4400 graphics) would be likely to make a notable difference in how the game plays.

To my mind, the primary advantages of the 11s would be
a) the smaller size feels more appropriate for the tablet/laptop conversions (and I have been using an 11" laptop for a while now, so am already used to small screen, and somewhat cramped keyboard)
b) price.
c) the hope that, since it is driving a smaller screen, and slightly lower power components - the 11S is more easily portable (either they put less weight into the battery - or you get somewhat longer battery life)

Beyond Civ 5 - my main uses of the machine would be
web browsing / email
office applications (word processing - spreadsheets)
Some use of R statistical software, although probably with reasonably modest sized data sets

I might have circumstances where I would appreciate the much higher resolution of the Yoga 2 Pro display, but I doubt they come up often enough to justify the price differential.

Do you have any additional information I should be considering here?

Any chance you will get a Haswell version of the 11s and do a smackdown between these two? I do appreciate your reviews, and would particularly like to see someone apply basically consistent tests of battery life and performance benchmarks to the two machines.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Thoughts on Lenovo Yoga 11s vs. 2 Pro [Re: lornix]
      #45662 - 11/22/13 02:59 PM

The Yoga 11s won't play Civ V as smoothly as the Yoga 2 Pro. The Y series CPU and Intel HD 4200 are indeed slower. And honestly, Civ V is pushing what Ultrabooks can do already. That doesn't mean you won't be able to run it, but computations between turns will take a while as the game progresses on the 11s. It's lower resolution at least won't tempt you to run the game at full HD .

The rest of the tasks are perfectly suited to the 11s.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

lornix

Reged: 11/21/13
Loc: Oakland, CA
Re: Thoughts on Lenovo Yoga 11s vs. 2 Pro [Re: LisaG]
      #45725 - 12/02/13 03:19 PM

Decided to pull the trigger on 11s. It seems to be playing Civ V acceptably for now (although, admittedly, I have not gotten to a real late game yet - so have not experienced much of the slow-down you warn about) - and am particularly appreciating a) an SSD - b) light weight and c) much better battery life (last laptop was an Alienware M11x - which made the screen really pretty - but was heavy, ate up battery life in a hurry whenever the discrete graphics was on, and was still using a spinning hard drive, so disc access/boot time/program start etc. were all much slower than the 11s).

Thanks for the advice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3155

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage