General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Case Review: Urban Armor Gear Scout for iPad Air Review
      #45816 - 12/26/13 09:57 AM

The UAG Scout for iPad Air is a ruggedized portfolio-style case for the iPad Air that provides everyday drop, bump, scuff protection and features a Smart Cover enabled screen cover.

Size and Fit

The Scout fits perfectly. Its one-piece construction allows fast installation and doesn't add any more bulk than other portfolio cases.

Features and Quality

I have reviewed several iPad cases from UAG over the last few years, but this is the first portfolio-style case they've made; and it's the first portfolio-style case I actually like. This isn't to say that other cases of this type aren't good; I just prefer a more rugged look and feel, and this is the first I've seen that satisfies this criteria. The case itself is constructed of either very flexible plastic, or very stiff rubber; I can't tell which but I guess that's a moot point. What's unique, though, is the cover and back panel feel more like rubbery fabric. It's doesn't get slippery when you hold it in our hand like a book, and feels very unusual (in a good way). This material also provides a high enough coefficient of friction to allow the case to stand open at almost any angle. The reinforced corners of the case help this a bit, which is very clever design. As with most other portfolio cases, the Scout is Smart Cover enabled so your iPad will wake/sleep whenever you open/close the cover. If you need protection from significant levels of moisture, be advised that UAG made conscious design choices to provide increased accessibility in exchange for reduced protection from moisture. This makes it almost an ideal everyday case, but take precautions if you intend to expose it to significant amounts rain/snow/mud/sand/dust.

Style

As I alluded to earlier, I love the rugged looks of the UAG Scout. It has a very aggressive style, especially the back cover, which looks like its held together with a circle of hex-nuts. It is currently only available in black.

Summary

If you are looking for a portfolio case with a more aggressive style, look no further than the UAG Scout.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5
What's Hot: Rugged portfolio case. Smart Cover enabled. Water-resistant material. Supports multiple viewing angles. Reinforced corners for enhanced drop protection. Great price.
What's Not: No protection from moisture for buttons and ports.
Price: $39.96
Web site: Urban Armor Gear

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage