MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
ThomasAn

Reged: 11/21/13
Which teblets keep their digitizer pen inside the unit ?
      #45809 - 12/24/13 11:51 AM

To your knowledge, is it only Samsung and Lenovo that store their pens inside the unit when not in use ?

Also, since both the Note 10.1 2014 and the thinkpad yoga were reviewed here, was either one more responsive than the other on note-taking ? Was the Thinkpad with the full CPU, snappier in this regard ?
(an unlikely comparison, yes. Debating to either go full-monty replacing my aging latpop with the Yoga, or just getting the digitizer/note-taking features of the Samsung for 1/3 of the price.)

Thank you for such excellent reviews !
T

Edited by ThomasAn (12/24/13 11:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Which teblets keep their digitizer pen inside the unit ? [Re: ThomasAn]
      #45810 - 12/24/13 05:22 PM

Among current models, yes those are the two that come to mind if you want a silo for the pen. And yes, those are very different animals to compare. With the Note 10.1, inking latency or lag depends on the program you're using. In generally when you've got a full page of handwritten notes, some lag creeps into most Android inking apps. Windows has a deep foundation for inking (10 years) so it's a more evolved system and that equals better speed and more features like OneNote's ability to turn an entire page of notes into text in just a few seconds.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

ThomasAn

Re: Which teblets keep their digitizer pen inside the unit ? [Re: LisaG]
      #45812 - 12/25/13 10:03 AM

Thanks Lisa !

In the mean time, I just discovered the brand new Fujitsu Q704 ... and ... in my preliminary view it seems to be incredibly well spec'd ! It also has a built-in digitizer. (So we could add Fujitsu, to the list of companies with built-in stylus)

It can be retrofired with an I7-4600U, which arguably makes it the most powerful tablet ever made to date. It can come with either a cradle/dock, or transformer keyboard. Not cheap, but highly customizable (even with GPS). This is tempting me more than the surface pro at the moment.

I wonder if I could talk you into a review of this one ?
(The Q584 would also be interesting for review ? It has the newer quad-core atom Z3770, and supports virtualization)

Edited by ThomasAn (12/25/13 10:08 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45813 - 12/25/13 04:39 PM

There are several models with a dual digitizer, but I thought you were looking specifically for models where the pen stowed inside the tablet-- sorry if I misunderstood. Does the Q704 have a pen silo? It literally just started shipping, along with their new convertible. I'd love to review it and we've worked with Fujitsu in the past for review units, but lately they've been MIA. I think they're shooting for the corporate market with their fairly expensive and well built products, and marketing isn't as interested in consumer-oriented publications (online or print). Not sure if we'll get one in for review.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ThomasAn

Re: Which teblets keep their digitizer pen inside the unit ? [Re: LisaG]
      #45814 - 12/25/13 08:04 PM

quote: "Does the Q704 have a pen silo?"

Yes !
Still talking about tablets with a pen silo (to store in the unit) and yes the Q704 definitely has a "silo" :-) as can be seen at 0:49 in this --> video. It is a new feature since I know the q702 did not have the built-in silo. The Q584 has a silo too.
(a side note, I am also finding out Fujitsu went back to using Wacom instead of n-trig for the q704 and q584)

But, boy the 704s are expensive. I could get a quad-core desktop replacement Macbook pro 15.4" for the $2200 of the i7-4600U Fujitsu tablet. Granted the Mac won't be a tablet, but just to say how much more power can be had at that price level.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#45815 - 12/26/13 03:10 AM

Agreed. Fujitsu priced themselves out of the consumer market for many models starting a few years back. Only companies have that kind of spend (and it's hard to take that for granted since the great recession). I think it's a nice unit, but I don't see a justification for the price.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ozaz

Reged: 01/03/14
Loc: United Kingdom
      #45929 - 01/18/14 02:04 PM

ThomasAn,

For Windows tablets, there is a very useful thread on notebookreviews.com where someone has been cataloging Win 8 tablets with digitiser pens.
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/52592-list-windows-8-rt-tablets-convertibles-stylus.html

For your specific question, see the silo column in the first spreadsheet linked to in the opening post of the thread

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3426

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage