MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Smorton

Reged: 01/19/14
Need help on buying a laptop.
      #45938 - 01/20/14 11:39 PM

Greetings. First post here and please forgive any dullness as I am a complete beginner.
I am looking for a laptop or ultrabook to use in my practice of law. The primary purpose of the computer would be to use it with Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional. Although I own the software I have not used it for more than 1/2 hour total, due to not having an appropriate computer to use it on. This software takes a lot of horsepower to use and I am thinking of something with a 4th gen Intel i7, a lot of ram, etc.

I have always used desktops, except I bought an Ipad about 6 months ago, on a whim. I am a complete novice at laptops and perhaps at computers and software in general. I like the Ipadís touch screen but I only use it for non-work things.

A few days ago I bought a ThinkPad Yoga (i7, Win 8.1, 8 gb of ram, 256 solid state drive, etc. I bought it from Costco because I have been told they have a liberal return policy. You can return a computer within 90 days of purchase if you don't like it.
I was pretty amazed at how small the TP Yoga was when it arrived. My immediate thought was that this is so small I won't be able to see the icons, text, etc, without having some serious glasses on and that it simply would be too small for me to use on a regular daily basis.

After using it for a short time I discovered that you can "zoom in" and make things larger. The quality of the TP Yoga, is great. However, I have several misgivings and I am leaning towards returning the Yoga and taking a second look at what my needs are.

I hope I am not kicked off this forum for saying this, but the biggest hang-up is the Win 8.1 OS. I really like Win7 and my IT person told me today that he could reformat the Yoga and replace it with Win7 professional (64 bit) for $85.00 total. This idea is growing on me to the point where I may have this done tomorrow. Win8 is interesting but I need a computer that is light, easy to carry around and can be used for a serious business purpose. I would have all the programs except for the essentials removed.

Is this crazy to be buying this TP Yoga and then installing Win7 on it or should I be looking for a different laptop. I am 62 and wear glasses and it may be a challenge to use the Yoga. However, I would get a docking system and use it with one or two larger monitors, etc. Although I have the full Photoshop program I would not clutter the Yoga with anything except the essential and use a kvm switch so I can easily use my existing desktop for Photoshop, etc.

The advantages I see with the Yoga is how light it is and the quality. Although I am not a big laptop user, it does not take much to see that this isnít a Best Buy special, but rather a well-crafted instrument. It seems to have the horsepower to handle Dragon from the input I have received from a Dragon forum, the members of which are very serious Dragon users.

I know this is a hard question to answer (maybe a ridiculous question also) because the software is somewhat unique and many of these things are personal preference. Nevertheless I thought I would post to this forum as I have been very impressed with the this website and the great YouTube reviews.

So the basic question is: Should I consider converting the Yoga to Win7 Pro or start over and look at larger Dells, Lenovos, etc? The size of the Yoga is the plus and the minus of my situation. I know myself well enough to know that I am lazy to the point that if a laptop is not convenient to carry around, that I won't carry it around and probably will not use it after about two weeks.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Smorton

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need help on buying a laptop. [Re: Smorton]
      #45942 - 01/21/14 09:36 PM

I really wouldn't do that with a convertible touch screen model. Windows 8 supports those features so much better than Windows 7. If you don't like seeing the Live Tiles, you can set the computer to boot straight to the desktop so you can ignore the new Live Tile experience. The desktop mode is quite similar to Windows 7. If text and other items are still too small for you, you can go to the Display control panel and use the "make things bigger or smaller" option to set the desktop and MS apps to look larger (Photoshop ignores this scaling, but they're working on it). You could also try setting the display resolution to 1600 x 900 or even 1366 x 768 to make everything larger.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Smorton

Re: Need help on buying a laptop. [Re: LisaG]
      #45943 - 01/22/14 01:13 AM

Thank you for your reply Lisa. I have been wondering how I could remove my post which I wanted to do shortly after I wrote it. The ThinkPad Yoga is a rascal. It grows on you and the quality is great. If I use it much longer you would have to pry it from my hands.

I over-reacted to some very minor things but it is really growing on me.

I spoke to my IT fellow today and he said for $45.00 he can remove much of the bloat (I am not sure if ThinkPad Yoga's have that much, but he can get it the way I want it. After using it further I begain to enjoy the touch screen. For me, this is a very zippy computer and I think I am going to be happy with it.

I live in a very rural area and tomorrow I will be going to the Minneapolis area and I sure wish I knew where I could buy a ThinkPad OneLink Docking Station. Everything is online these days it seems. I assume that is a better dock for the ThinkPad Yoga than the Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock. The reviews seems to indicate that. I would like to get to docking stations set up and then I think I will be very pleased.

You have a wonderful website and you provide a great service. I like your video reviews on YouTube. Well done and fair reviews.

Thank you.

Steve Bolton

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need help on buying a laptop. [Re: Smorton]
      #45947 - 01/22/14 10:24 AM

Glad you're enjoying the Yoga now! No, ThinkPads don't have much bloat since they're meant for business users. Lenovo sells the One Link dock on their website. In my experience it's not easy to find ThinkPads in local stores. Consumer electronics stores carry Lenovo's consumer IdeaPad models instead.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Smorton

Re: Need help on buying a laptop. [Re: LisaG]
      #45970 - 01/28/14 10:51 PM

I thought that I would report back that it would take a small army to get my ThinkPad Yoga out of my hands now. I really like it and I am starting to like Windows 8. Next I need to learn something about patience.

Thank you for helping me so that it isn't running Windows 7 or Ubuntu or something else before it was too late (nothing wrong with Windows 7 or Ubuntu but the touch screen really is nice with Win8 and it seems fast, etc).

Thanks once again. I would recommend the Thinkpad Yoga to anyone without any hesitation.

If you have any job opening please let me know at once.

Steve Bolton

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage