MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1

Reged: 02/26/14
Is it possible to add (hack) a 3G modem to a ThinkPad Yoga
      #46112 - 02/27/14 01:19 PM

Hi Lisa and MobileTechReview,

Thanks Lisa for your wonderful and (as always) informative review on the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga. I'm switching to it from a Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro, and the only thing I'm gonna miss is it's built in 3G modem and microSIM slot. It was really handy to only need a couple of taps to just connect to my mobile network.

I was wondering what are my options for having such connectivity. I could use a Mi-Fi device, or plug in a huge USB 3G modem (why don't they make these smaller anyway?).

Then I read somewhere that you could add on 3G mini PCIe cards to laptops and solder on a sim card slot... Is this kind of hacking possible on a ThinkPad Yoga? Please let me know your suggestions Lisa! Thank you!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Is it possible to add (hack) a 3G modem to a ThinkPad Yoga [Re: hoopla_punta]
      #46113 - 02/27/14 03:45 PM

A MiFi, USB dongle or a smartphone with mobile hotspot are the three ways to get the Yoga online anywhere. I really would have to think of hacking and soldering that lovely machine-- it would hurt the resale value and likely void your warranty. Beyond that, you'd need an antenna for the 3G card or you wouldn't get any reception.

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2347

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage