MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
jadoff

Reged: 05/15/14
Gaming/Production Laptop
      #46458 - 05/16/14 01:44 AM

Hello,

I am looking at getting a new laptop for gaming and digital art production. I currently have Samsung Series 3 with an AMD A6 Processor without dedicated graphics.

I will be playing games like Skyrim, Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock Trilogy, Assassins Creed, etc. In terms of design programs, I will be using Adobe's Creative Suite. While all of these games and programs are able to be run on my computer, I do not get good fps for games even on the lowest settings and programs like Photoshop take forever to load and crash often.

I have been looking at MSI and ASUS Republic of Gamer's laptops. See specific list of models I am considering:
-ASUS ROG G750JM
-ASUS ROG G750JX
-MSI GE70 2OE
-MSI GE70 Apache Pro-012

The main difference in these laptops seems to be only in Hard Drive size, RAM, or Graphics Card.

I am not concerned with needing to have a SSD, they just add cost. My main considerations revolve around graphics cards and heat management. With these games and programs that I will be running, will there be enough of a difference between the Nvidia 765M (2GB), 770M (3GB), and 860M (2GB) to justify one over the other? In terms of heat management, is one of the brands better than the other?

Finally, does one brand have better support or build quality than the other?

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Gaming/Production Laptop [Re: jadoff]
      #46463 - 05/17/14 04:32 PM

We'll be reviewing the MSI's close cousin the GT60 soon and we've covered the ROG G750. We'll also be comparing them both.The 770M does add some worthwhile punch, and a year from now you'll likely be glad you got it. The 860M not as much. Both have pretty good build quality and decent support. I find the cooling a bit more sophisticated on the Asus (quieter and more efficient).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

jadoff

Reged: 05/15/14
Re: Gaming/Production Laptop [Re: LisaG]
      #46464 - 05/17/14 05:26 PM

Thank you very much.

I have watched the review of the ROG G750 and look forward to the GT60 review.

I have seen some things about Sager, do you have any knowledge of that brand? I had never heard of them until the other day.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Gaming/Production Laptop [Re: jadoff]
      #46465 - 05/17/14 07:55 PM

Sager is popular in the EU, but you pretty much only see their wares at a few online stores in the US. They make good products and we may review them in the future.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 820

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage