General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Asus PadFone X Video Review: Android Phone and Tablet in One Package
      #46548 - 06/05/14 12:23 PM

The Asus PadFone has been around for two years, but a model hasn't made it to the US until now. The question is, is it too late or is the timing just right? If you're a tech addict, the answer is probably too late--you've moved on from your import PadFone to the next three shiny things by now. But the timing might be just right for adoption by average folks who want both a tablet and a smartphone and for enthusiasts in the US who weren't quite daring enough to order an import.

The PadFone X is available on AT&T for just $199 with contract. Why do I say "just" when that's a standard flagship phone price? Because you get the phone and the tablet dock in the box for that price. Now that's pretty sweet. The PadFone X is a flagship level Android smartphone with a 5" full HD IPS display, 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad core CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and a 13 megapixel camera. On paper, it's in the same league as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, both in terms of specs and size. The tablet dock has a 9", 1920 x 1200 IPS display with the biggest bezels we've seen since 2005.

The appeal here is that you don't need two data plans, nor do you need to sync data between your phone and tablet. They are one in the same. The brains are in the phone and the tablet is merely a larger screen and it also has a secondary battery that can power the whole shebang or charge the phone. There's a slot on the back of the tablet dock for the phone, and it's pretty smooth mechanically and in terms of software functionality. And yes, you can make calls when the PadFone X is in tablet mode--a feature other US carrier tablets don't offer.

The Asus PadFone X is the third generation PadFone model from Asus, and it's the first Asus phone to arrive on a US carrier. You can preorder it on June 6 from AT&T's website.

Here's our Asus PadFone X video review. Our full written review will follow.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeLEF

Reged: 10/07/13
Re: Asus PadFone X Video Review: Android Phone and Tablet in One Package [Re: LisaG]
      #46613 - 06/24/14 11:54 AM

I didn't notice it in the review... if the phone rings while it's docked, does the phone need to be removed from the dock to answer it? Or can it be answered from the dock, and then removed?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Asus PadFone X Video Review: Android Phone and Tablet in One Package [Re: MikeLEF]
      #46616 - 06/24/14 11:17 PM

You don't need to remove it from the dock to answer a call. You can use speakerphone or a headset.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7767

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage