MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Spootnik

Reged: 06/11/14
Loc: New Jersey
Photography/Video Production Laptop
      #46579 - 06/13/14 12:12 PM

I'm looking for a portable laptop (preferably nothing heavier or bigger than the current Macbook Pros. I need to be able to do photo and video editing while traveling which means Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and some Premiere Pro (I'm going on an extended road trip in a few months).

I believe I will be building another PC for myself to use as a primary work horse when I don't need to be mobile, so the laptop will be filling in when I'm out and about or don't want to be stuck in one room of the house.

I'd like a nice screen that is IPS for color accuracy with photo editing.

At the moment I've been going back and forth between the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and a 13in Macbook Pro. I've also looked into the Lenovo X2 Carbon and teh Lenovo Y50 (which I believe is expected to be released with a 4k screen in July but I'm not sure if that will be an IPS display?)

Concerns:
The Macbook Pros might be updated in the not so distant future (although I'm not sure this should be a legitimate concern).
The Yoga 2 Pro is cheaper for similar hardware but I'm worried about the whole wireless card thing and as much as I'd love to swap out the card on my own for a dual band it would suck to void your warranty and then have a problem with the laptop. Also does anyone know if Adobe software works with the scaling yet on the Yoga 2 Pro's screen? That could be a deal breaker.

I'm not sure exactly how powerful of a laptop I should go for to be honest. Like for example should I definitely get an i7 cpu for the hyper-threading abilities? And should I go with a 256 or 512 SSD?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, even of new routes I maybe haven't thought of, that would be awesome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Photography/Video Production Laptop [Re: Spootnik]
      #46582 - 06/14/14 02:08 PM

I'd be surprised if we see 4k displays that aren't IPS or IPS-like this year. So I'd expect the Y50 to have IPS at that resolution.

I don't think you'd void the warranty by swapping the Yoga's wireless card, but be mindful that Lenovo's BIOS only allows a few cards, so you'll need to pick from those.

Last I heard, proper hi DPI scaling is coming to Adobe programs this summer. Not hear yet across the board for their products.

ULV Core i7s aren't that much faster than Core i5- around 7%. As for storage, that depends on how much you need and can afford.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 514

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage