MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1

Reged: 06/11/14
Loc: New Jersey
Photography/Video Production Laptop
      #46579 - 06/13/14 05:12 PM

I'm looking for a portable laptop (preferably nothing heavier or bigger than the current Macbook Pros. I need to be able to do photo and video editing while traveling which means Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and some Premiere Pro (I'm going on an extended road trip in a few months).

I believe I will be building another PC for myself to use as a primary work horse when I don't need to be mobile, so the laptop will be filling in when I'm out and about or don't want to be stuck in one room of the house.

I'd like a nice screen that is IPS for color accuracy with photo editing.

At the moment I've been going back and forth between the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and a 13in Macbook Pro. I've also looked into the Lenovo X2 Carbon and teh Lenovo Y50 (which I believe is expected to be released with a 4k screen in July but I'm not sure if that will be an IPS display?)

The Macbook Pros might be updated in the not so distant future (although I'm not sure this should be a legitimate concern).
The Yoga 2 Pro is cheaper for similar hardware but I'm worried about the whole wireless card thing and as much as I'd love to swap out the card on my own for a dual band it would suck to void your warranty and then have a problem with the laptop. Also does anyone know if Adobe software works with the scaling yet on the Yoga 2 Pro's screen? That could be a deal breaker.

I'm not sure exactly how powerful of a laptop I should go for to be honest. Like for example should I definitely get an i7 cpu for the hyper-threading abilities? And should I go with a 256 or 512 SSD?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, even of new routes I maybe haven't thought of, that would be awesome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Photography/Video Production Laptop [Re: Spootnik]
      #46582 - 06/14/14 07:08 PM

I'd be surprised if we see 4k displays that aren't IPS or IPS-like this year. So I'd expect the Y50 to have IPS at that resolution.

I don't think you'd void the warranty by swapping the Yoga's wireless card, but be mindful that Lenovo's BIOS only allows a few cards, so you'll need to pick from those.

Last I heard, proper hi DPI scaling is coming to Adobe programs this summer. Not hear yet across the board for their products.

ULV Core i7s aren't that much faster than Core i5- around 7%. As for storage, that depends on how much you need and can afford.

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1706

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage