General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Battery Case Review: Logitech Case+ for iPhone 5/5s Review
      #46660 - 07/07/14 12:33 PM

Logitech's Case+ system is a high-end modular iPhone 5/5s case targeted squarely at the corporate commuter, and possibly student crowd. It features high quality construction and a sophisticated look, but unless you fit the target demographic you may be paying for features you don't need.

Size and Fit

The Case+ System starts with a slim minimalist case that won't add much size or weight to your iPhone. This basic case installs in seconds, and, as expected, will fit your iPhone 5/5s perfectly.

Features and Quality

Once the basic case is installed, it's time to start adding features depending on your circumstances at the time. Need a place to store a few credit cards, driver's license, or a small amount of cash? Simply slap the +wallet module onto the back of your phone and the rare earth magnets built into it will instantly adhere to the basic case back thanks to its steel construction. The wallet component has two pockets that will hold the above-listed items quite securely, and won't add much weight or bulk in the process. Need to prop your phone up for landscape viewing? The +Tilt module fills this role nicely with a series of foldable panels that can form a viewing stand in seconds, then disappear into a thin panel on the back of your phone when not needed. When flat like this, it will also hold your phone safely against any surface to which magnets will adhere. Lastly, the Tilt+ will also hold your earbuds when folded into the shape of a triangular prism.

How about power? The Case+ system also includes a +energy module that features a 2300mAh battery that snaps into place when you need it, and retreats discretely into your briefcase/backpack/purse when not. But what about those times when you need your phone for navigation and/or hands-free operation in a vehicle? The +Drive component uses a powerful suction cup to adhere to your vehicle window. Once installed, it will magnetically hold your phone in place thanks to another set of rare earth magnets built into it. To tell the truth, I was pretty skeptical about this particular item as I have seen more than one suction cup fail in my lifetime. I can assure you, however, that the +Drive suction cup maintains an iron grip that I couldn't pull off by force (although it came off easily by pulling on the tab at its base according to the instructions). It manages this by mechanically creating a strong vacuum rather than relying on your ability to do so. Holding it against the glass and turning the dial to the lock position causes the suction cup to flatten far more completely than could be accomplished by simply pressing it against the glass. I attached this to my car a week ago and its still holding strong. Yeah, you can trust it (assuming you install it correctly!).

While my field tests revealed the, the Case+ System to be feature-rich and well-made, it is also quite specific in its functionality, and unless you're in the target demographic, you're probably not going to use all of it. It's also priced at the high end of the market, which makes it even more imperative that you need everything it can do in order to get its full value. If you were to tally the cost of purchasing each individual component separately, you would almost certainly be able to pick up everything for less. However, what you're paying for here is the ability to swap out modules in seconds depending on your needs. Assuming you purchased 3-4 different cases to fill these roles, what is the likelihood that you would take the time to change them out constantly throughout the day? Convenience and quality come at a premium with everything; Even iPhone cases.

Style

The Case+ system has a sophisticated look so it's easiest to picture it with the business suit crowd. However, it's not formal or stodgy looking. In fact, it's almost as if Logitech went to great lengths to make the Case+ blend-in anywhere. It's not boring; it's just very neutral. Oddly, the homepage has a picture of a blue case, however, I was not given a color option when I added it to the cart. If you're interested in something other than black, I recommend you contact Logitech prior to purchase to find out if additional colors are planned.

Summary

The Case+ system is a high-quality modular case for iPhone 5/5s, and is easily the most versatile case I've ever reviewed. If you need these features (you know who you are), I can easily recommend it. However, if you don't, you're probably better off with a non-modular solution due to the price.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 3.5
What's Hot: Literally four cases in one thanks to its modular system, plus a very robust window mount.
What's Not: Pricey. Not everybody is going to need every feature.
Price: $199.99
Web site: Logitech

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1356

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage