MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Akvod

Reged: 07/13/14
Convertible/hybrid laptop with replaceable battery + Stylus
      #46688 - 07/13/14 08:40 PM

Hello,

I have two questions.

First, for people who have bought ultrabooks and other similar devices that have the battery built into the device: How has your experience been with regards to the battery? Do you find them not holding their charge long after 1 year? Retrospectively, do you regret getting a device that won't let you replace the battery yourself (at least, without having to go through an extra mile)?

Second, does anyone know of a convertible/hybrid laptop that does allow you to replace a battery?

Right now, not being able to replace the battery is sort of a deal killer given my experience with my current laptop, and I want to at least start by searching for a device that does let me replace the battery before moving onto ultrabooks.

The device has to be able to support a stylus. Ideally, I would like to be able to draw with it. And it's able to convert into some kind of tablet mode.

Please let me know if I forgot to mention something, and thank you for your help.

Edited by Akvod (07/13/14 10:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Akvod

Re: Convertible/hybrid laptop with replaceable battery + Stylus [Re: Akvod]
      #46689 - 07/14/14 12:10 AM

So far, the only remotely close thing I found was this: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X240.htm

And:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-10-tablet/pd

My dream laptop/hybrid is the Surface Pro 3 (especially because of its 3:2 aspect ratio), but it's just way too expensive right now, and I really don't like the idea of buying a laptop with an internal battery. But I guess either the world's changed, or maybe I'm just asking for too much...

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #46692 - 07/14/14 11:00 PM

Modern Lithium Ion batteries have charging intelligence built in, and do last for a good 2-3 years before serious runtime degradation occurs. I'm afraid for tablets and Ultrabooks, built-in batteries are a fact of life. Most aren't that hard to replace should they die of old age, though Surface Pro batteries aren't a do it yourself item due to the way they're assembled.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Akvod

Re: Convertible/hybrid laptop with replaceable battery + Stylus [Re: LisaG]
      #46693 - 07/15/14 02:16 AM

Hmm, guess I'll have to wait about a year for the Surface Pro 3 to drop in price then.

What other device would meet these needs?

0) Full Windows 8
1) Can be used in tablet mode
2) Supports a stylus (to draw and write)
3) Can be used in portrait mode (at least 16:10 aspect ratio, with 4:3 being ideal)
4) Thin enough so I can pack it in a bag with another laptop
5) Cheap

Edited by Akvod (07/15/14 02:40 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#46721 - 07/18/14 06:38 PM

The Lenovo ThinkPad 10 perhaps.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Akvod

#46722 - 07/19/14 11:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. Watching your review for it right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUc0BZW80g

Will you probably do a smackdown in the future?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#46723 - 07/20/14 12:37 PM

The full written review of the ThinkPad 10 is here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-10.htm .

I might do a smackdown between it and the Surface Pro 3, yes.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Akvod

#46725 - 07/20/14 06:01 PM

Hmm, reading the review, I think I'm ultimately going with the Surface Pro 3 next year.

I have some concerns about it, but ultimately if the SP3 is a dud as a computer, I'll just treat it like a really expensive tablet purchase. Hopefully the price would drop a lot by next year.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#46727 - 07/20/14 08:15 PM

Surface Pro models don't tend to drop in price until they reach end of life. By the time Surface Pro 3 gets discounted $100 or $200, Surface Pro 4 will be out. Unfortunately there aren't many truly affordable pen enabled tablets or laptops on the market with Intel Core CPUs. Maybe some day.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Akvod

#46728 - 07/20/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

Surface Pro models don't tend to drop in price until they reach end of life. By the time Surface Pro 3 gets discounted $100 or $200, Surface Pro 4 will be out. Unfortunately there aren't many truly affordable pen enabled tablets or laptops on the market with Intel Core CPUs. Maybe some day.

Well that's fine with me. Unless the SP4 adds something absolutely amazing, I think I can compromise for outdated tech. The biggest problem I have with the SP1 and 2 is the screen size. To me, it just feels like Microsoft had no idea what the thing was primarily going to be used for, which I think (and now Microsoft thinks) is note taking, drawing, anything stylus related.

But, I just can't justify spending $1,000+ (max, I'm willing to pay $999) for a laptop though, or buy what's supposed to be a laptop replacement, with 256 GBs and less memory. That's what my current laptop has, and it's a pain constantly having to delete files and/or transfer them to an external HD.

Although now that I think about it, I probably would need an external HD anyway, so maybe I can deal with the 256 vs the 500ish GB version. But then again, one of the things I want to do with the Surface Pro 3 is to play some old games from Steam and I'm afraid that the lack of space will annoy me beyond an unacceptable level.

BTW, I'll appreciate it if you could throw your 2 cents on this article:
http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/guides/will-price-drop-microsoft-surface-pro-3/

This is pretty much what's dictating my buying decision/plan.

Edited by Akvod (07/20/14 10:27 PM)

Akvod

#46729 - 07/20/14 11:31 PM

Ugh, I don't know about or care about SSD, but as an average consumer, it seems like these companies are having their devices have less storage for a higher price because of SSDs.

Maybe my sweet spot of 1TB is just out of touch.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just buy the Thinkpad 10 or something cheap, and then get a bulky cheap laptop that has more power and storage than the SP3.

I mean, I said before that I can't justify spending $1,000+ on one mobile device (that I could just drop or spill something on), and the Surface Pro 3 - 256GB / Intel i5 version is $1,299.00, without the keyboard.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2113

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage