MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Smorton

Reged: 01/20/14
Need small laptop for reading PDFs
      #48209 - 06/25/15 01:57 AM

Greetings,

I have to read a great deal of material for my work and I am not good with reading material on a computer unless I can mark it up while I read it. I have a form of attention deficit disorder and normally, when I read I underline everything I read in green and highlight in yellow what is important. I use Adobe Acrobat professional.

I would like a small (11 to 13) two in one (I guess they are called) that would allow me to do this with a pen (I use a mouse now with a desktop). I would also like to be able to use a mouse at times.

I like IOS but live in a windows world for my business.

Does such a two in one or small laptop exist that does not cost a fortune?

Any input appreciated.

Thank you.

Smorton.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need small laptop for reading PDFs [Re: Smorton]
      #48225 - 06/28/15 04:43 PM

How about the new Microsoft Surface 3? We reviewed it here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Microsoft-Surface-3.htm .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Smorton

Re: Need small laptop for reading PDFs [Re: LisaG]
      #48226 - 06/28/15 05:28 PM

The new Microsoft Surface 3 would have been the obvious choice I now think. Instead, I bought a Dell Inspiron 11.6 inch two in one with the Intel i3 processor and 500 gb hard drive with the thought of installing a solid state drive. Just bought it yesterday at Costco for $399.00 so I have 90 days to return it. The price seemed good.

I am exploring using it with a mouse for underlining PDFs but it appears you can use a stylus with it also and then purchase a PDF app (Drawboard PDF or something like that). I may be wrong on that.

I am a little concerned about the Microsoft Surface 3 in terms of speed and because, if I recall, you have to purchase the pen and keyboard separately.

The other thought was just simply buying one of the Surface Pros but the cost is quite a bit more.

Any thoughts on the Dell 11.6 with the i3 processor being upgraded with a SSD? Any SSD you would recommend?

Thank you.

Smorton

Smorton

#48299 - 07/17/15 06:29 PM

After looking around, I am wondering if the Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series Tablet would work for this? You can use the Dell Active Stylus pen I believe. You can buy this for as low as $125.00 and I can buy a Dell Active Stylus for 39.00

Otherwise I can buy the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 i5 processor. It only comes with 4 gb of ram but this could be expanded later and I also think you can add an ssd. The cost of this is about 649 from Costco.

Any thoughts on these options?

Thank you.

Smorton

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #48310 - 07/22/15 02:53 PM

Depending on what you're reading and annotating, an 8" tablet might be a bit small. It works well for Android and iOS tablets using eReader apps like Kindle and Nook, but I find it small on Windows. Maybe the Dell Venue 11 Pro? But honestly that would cost more than the Inspiron 11 you picked up, which is a great little laptop for the price.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Smorton

Re: Need small laptop for reading PDFs [Re: LisaG]
      #48326 - 07/28/15 03:52 AM

I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 11.3, i7, 8gb ram, 500 gb hybrid hard drive at Micro Center for 640.00 refurbished. I plan to get the Dell active stylus. I think it will work out.

Thank you.

Smorton

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage