General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Burkley Wallet Folio Case for iPhone 7 Review
      #49756 - 12/12/16 04:44 PM

I will never review a product without actually testing it first. Unfortunately, I only have one iPhone, and it's a "plus." Fortunately, my wife always selects the smaller iPhone. She is the yin to my yang; the peas to my carrots. I expected her to balk a bit, however, when I handed her the Burkley folio. Having just completed her first Ironman last month, it's safe to say that her lifestyle is not conducive to a standard wallet case. Still, I needed the product tested, and my phone wasn't the right size...

She doesn't know this, but part of my review process is to watch her as she opens the box and makes first contact. With the Burkley Folio, the first glance triggered her signature sneer (the one where she pushes the right side of her upper lip up so high that it deforms its associated nostril). But, after a few seconds, she noticed two things: First, it was made of leather and very nice. Second, the case detached from the wallet for regular use. I watched her as she snapped the case in and out of the folio a few times and then, without a word, she installed the case on her phone, placed it in the folio, and was on her way.

Burkley's Wallet Folio has a lot going for it. It's made of genuine floater leather (leather treated to retain its original texture) that has been dyed to a beautiful turquoise. It holds 3 cards on its inner flap, and has a slim pocket for bills. When I say slim, I mean it can easily hold maybe 2-3 of them before it starts to get tedious getting them in and out. This, by the way, is my only complaint about this otherwise excellent folio case. This may seem like a small thing but a wallet that doesn't have enough room for all your bills can be more than a little inconvenient. The big feature however, that makes this product easy to recommend (besides the materials and workmanship), is the ability to remove the encased phone from the folio for use. While it is not strictly necessary to do so, I strongly caution against leaving the phone in-place and simply folding the cover back; at least in a public place. Doing so will display your credit cards and ID (and likely your cash) to all present, and may trigger an attempted theft. Yes, most thieves know that not being able to see the contents a purse doesn't mean there's nothing of value there (unless the purse belongs to Schroedinger) but why wear red to the bullfight?

The case itself is also constructed of floater leather with TPU rubber edges to enable easy installation/removal, and will protect your phone from bumps, scuffs, and perhaps the occasional small drop. As an added plus, the leather back is installed in such a way that its soft suede-like back is exposed, and is what your iPhone rests against. Strong magnets hold the case to the folio, and when closed with the magnetic clasp, I was unable to dislodge it short of pressing hard against the top or bottom and forcing it out. After a week of use, my wife refuses to give it back to me. She has found it to be functional, stylish, and its construction appeals to her love of quality. I'm paraphrasing of course, in the interest of brevity, but she is obviously sold on it.

Summary
Burkley's Wallet Folio Case for iPhone 7 is an easy recommendation for those looking for a folio case - and even for those who aren't, thanks to the case being easily removable for regular use. The leather construction is readily discernable from faux/bonded leather and vinyl; and like all leather products, will only look better with use. While I wish the cash pocket was roomier, that's a minor quibble for an otherwise fantastic product.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4.5
What's Hot: Genuine leather construction. Hidden magnets hold iPhone in folio when not in use. Room for 3 cards and cash. Camera cutout allows use without removal from wallet. Magnetic clasp holds folio closed when not in use.
What's Not: Cash compartment isn't roomy enough for very much actual cash.
Price: $47.60

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

---

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2436

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage