MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
jcgret

Reged: 08/28/03
New User Needs Basic Help With Music Files
      #5313 - 08/31/03 01:10 AM

I just purchased a IPAQ 2210 and have been trying to create playlists. The user's guide is prettly slim on instructions. (I'm also pressed for time, so may have missed the section.) I would appreciate if someone could walk me through the steps. Also, when I've been successful in transferring digital files from PC to PDA I've found that I only have enough memory for a few songs - each song is about 7mb in size. I'm thinking of getting a SD card, but when I do the math a 256mb card will only store about 30-35 songs, at best 1.5-2 CD's worth. That doesn't seem like alot. A friend who has a digital handheld 'walkman' type device says he gets hundreds of songs on his with less memory. I know I'm missing something here, and hope someone can set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
monsoft1011

Reged: 08/19/03
Loc: Manila, Philippines
Re: New User Needs Basic Help With Music Files [Re: jcgret]
      #5318 - 08/31/03 03:44 PM

hello there! I think I may have a solution for you...

I also have an HP Ipaq but it's an H1940. When I first gone through placing in mp3 songs from my desktop to my pocket pc I ended up placing in 2 songs only because each song is about 7-9mb and I already had some other applications that took up space as well...

What I did was I converted my mp3 files from mp3 to wma. It has the same quality in terms of sounds but differs greatly in compression size. My previous mp3 files that were 9mb became 1012kb (more or less 1mb!) but still sounds the same!

There are a lot of softwares that can convert mp3 files into wma files. The one I used is dbPoweramp (freeware) you can get this from http://www.webattack.com

However, there are a lot of other softwares that can do this, look for the one that suits your needs. You can tweak the number of kbps (sets the sound quality) to the settings that suits you.

Regarding the Playlist creation :
I used activesync to transfer files from desktop pc to ppc but there are a lot of similar software in the net so you can use any other software for this particular process.

1. Convert your mp3 files using the converter program

2. Transfer your music files from your desktop pc to your pocket pc

3. Run Windows media Player from your pocket pc

4. Windows media player automatically makes a playlist consisting of all media files stored in your ppc's memory.

To manually create a customized playlist :

1. Run Windows media Player from your pocket pc

2. Tap on the "Playlist" button on the lower left menu

3. Tap on the "playlist" button located in the upper left menu

4. Tap on Organize playlists

5. After this, you will have the option of adding, renaming, and deleting playlists

If you tap on "NEW" you are given the option to do the ff:

1. Set name for the playlist

2. Set folder location (Default location is in "my documents")

3. Choose the source (main memory, ipaq file store, and SD Card)of your media files. If you don't specify a source, default will be the main memory

4. After pressing "OK", the list of all your media files on the selected memory/source will be shown with a checkbox. Mark all files you want to include in your playlist.

5. Press "OK". there... you now have your playlist.

hopes this helps. It may be a bit of a hassle having to convert files but it's worth your while. It works for me fine even without an SD card I can store 10-20 wma media files. With an SD Card I can store much, much more!

--------------------
monsoft1011

adblink182
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/02/03
Re: New User Needs Basic Help With Music Files [Re: monsoft1011]
      #5329 - 09/01/03 09:58 PM

monsoft, thats awesome, never thought about converting it to save space

I have all my songs on a 64mb SD card....holds about 17 songs

//edit hey monsoft...I tried that software you were talking about, and from what I can see it only converts things to either mp3 or wav.....and a 3mb mp3 file turns out to be a 30mb wav file...

what am I doin wrong

Edited by adblink182 (09/02/03 03:23 AM)

monsoft1011

Re: New User Needs Basic Help With Music Files [Re: adblink182]
      #5335 - 09/02/03 07:25 AM

my apologies... you may not have done anything wrong.

After installing dBpowerAMP music converter, you will have to download additional BUT optional Codecs for additional conversion options.
There are a lot of different codecs for this software. Download the codec WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO (wma) at http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

Wave files are really very large sized files I only use this format when burning an Audio CD. Hope you get the software working... it's really great to have many songs in your PDA

--------------------
monsoft1011

adblink182
PDA Addict

#5337 - 09/02/03 11:05 AM

there we go that should work

thanks

//edit hmmmm just wondering, what settings are you running this thing at? I am able to convert the file so its mush smaller then the original but the sound is terrible...

the settings for it were 32kbps, 44kHz, stereo CBR

Edited by adblink182 (09/02/03 11:24 AM)

monsoft1011

Re: New User Needs Basic Help With Music Files [Re: adblink182]
      #5349 - 09/02/03 11:55 PM

I'm glad you got it working

Yes, the smaller the file, the more less the quality gets. And it's also a fact that conversion from one format to another will have some change in quality depending on the settings.

I always convert at the standard bitrate which is 32Kbps, I use the "normalize volume" option so that all songs are standard in volume, I set the frequency at 44100Hz, and lastly I set the channel to stereo. Setting it a bit higher (let's say 40Kbps or 64Kbps at 44100Hz) will have better quality but adds about 400-800 kb and still a lot less than the original large mp3 file.

It's the same setting as you used. So far in this settings my music files sounds fine to me. Maybe if you'd compare them through playing the original and then the converted file you'll find some difference in quality.

Setting a higher bitrate and frequency of a wma file can greatly boost sound quality but at the same time makes the file much larger BUT still a lot less than the original size. Tweak the settings to what suits your taste.

Hopes this helps...

--------------------
monsoft1011

adblink182
PDA Addict

#5352 - 09/03/03 03:33 AM

I think I found the right setting, it doesn't make the files 1mb or anything but its at least half, which still means a few more files

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage