MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Tablet Computers

Pages: 1
Mike60542

Reged: 09/21/03
Tablet PC comparison
      #5764 - 09/24/03 09:32 PM

I have been thinking about getting a Tablet PC for school in a couple of months. I know that there are different types, and different models of the different types. Has anybody found a good comparison of them? From what I have seen so far, the only thing that I would gain from getting a tablet instead of a laptop is the ability to "write" on it like I do my PDA. Does anyone know how well they even perform this function? From what I have seen you can get 3X (or more) the PC in a laptop vs the Tablets for the same money.

I've read Lisa's reviews of Tablets and I'm not convinced that I wouldn't be better off with a new laptop. Does anyone have a Tablet? The Gateway looked the most interesting. Does anyone have any comments about them?

Edited by Mike60542 (09/25/03 09:45 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike60542

Reged: 09/21/03
Re: Tablet PC comparison [Re: Mike60542]
      #6353 - 10/23/03 09:21 PM

I went to Gateway and checked out their Tablet.
I'm more disapointed now than ever.
I thought that they would at least have a program that worked like the Notes program in my iPAQ. I would have seriously considered buying it if it had something that worked like that with the ability to create different pads of "paper" and flip through pages like you would a regular notebook. Instead, it's just a battery guzzling PC that works with Word and Sticky Notes. The transcriber only works in window that appears at the bottom of Word and takes up 1/4 of the screen.
The sylus is way too slow too.

So, if any software / hardware developers read this, make a tablet PC that can work outside of Windows or on a limited platform with reduced power usage. Also make a program that makes the stupid thing useful for what you advertise it as. A tablet that you can actually write on the entire screen for taking notes, drafting sketches, and create different notebooks to keep things separate is what would make the thing actually useful. Have it so that it is in HTML format or something useful too. Make it so that it transcribes like the iPAQ.

I think I'll buy 3X the laptop for 1/2 the price and get something that's a lot more useful than a product that doesn't even come close to what it should.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tablet PC comparison [Re: Mike60542]
      #6515 - 10/30/03 03:20 PM

What about Windows Journal which is built into XP Tablet Edition? It's a very cool app that looks like a legal pad and you can write (and have the tablet recognize your handwriting if you wish), drawing and etc.. You can even choose from several templates like legal pad, graph paper and so on. You can share handwritten Journal files with folks who use regular Windows XP as well.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tablet PC comparison [Re: ]
      #6712 - 11/11/03 12:57 PM

You mean to sync to a Windows XP machine? Don't see why not.

Quote:

Got one question.

Is HP Jornada 540 series compactible with Windows XP?

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18994

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage