MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Notebooks - Laptops

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Sony Vaio TR2A review posted- great notebook!
      #6717 - 11/12/03 01:53 PM

If you're in the market for an ultralight notebook, do check out the Sony Vaio TR2A which weights in at only 3.1 lbs. and has many great features including an integrated DVD/CDRW drive and Centrino technology. We gave it out Editor's Choice Award.
Here's the review: www.pdabuyersguide.com/notebooks/sony_TR2A.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Vaio TR2A review posted- great notebook! [Re: LisaG]
      #13286 - 07/15/04 08:05 PM

3.1 lbs. is a monster? Compared to the average 8 lb. notebook that's popular in the US, it's an anorexic .

I personally do need the CD drive everywhere I go, and it's much easier to have it integrated (one less thing to pack, lose or have flopping around on the couch). The camera probably adds about 6 ounces max, and most all notebooks have speakers.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ArchiMark
PDA Addict

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Silicone Valley, CA
      #16292 - 10/11/04 03:35 PM

Hi Lisa,

How do you think the Sony Vaio TR series compares to the Fujitsu's like the P7010, P5020...??

Seems like they're a better value...

What do you think?

Mark

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Vaio TR2A review posted- great notebook! [Re: ArchiMark]
      #16371 - 10/13/04 02:08 PM

When it comes to units like the P7010, they seem fairly comparable. In fact, I'd say Fujitsu is doing a good job of cloning the TR series, even offering their own version of XBrite (Crystal View). I see them for around same price here in Northern CA, so it comes down to which you like better. The specs are fairly comparable with the Sony still having a nicer display, and the camera (if that camera is useful to you).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

fb3

Reged: 01/02/05
      #18567 - 01/02/05 02:04 AM

Have you done a comparison review of 3 lb ultralight notebooks including the TR3A and the Fujitsu 50xx or 70xx models and the Panasonic W2 or one of those? I'd very much like to see a full scale review of ALL the ultralights. I must have a CD and prefer CD-RW, and the fancier the better when it comes to processor and memory and screen. Keyboard is also a significant issue--here, for example, my memory is that the Fujitsu is MUCH BETTER than the Sony TR3A.

If you've seen reviews elsewhere on the web, could you set out a few links for the poor and downtrodden here on PDA guide?

Many many thanks,

rick

And PS: Wasn't the Fujitsu 50xx series out well BEFORE the Sony TR series? So if there's cloning going on, I believe the Sony is replicating the Fujitsu. I could be wrong, though. Cheers--

Edited by fb3 (01/02/05 02:06 AM)

sillyfox

Reged: 07/13/09
Loc: NY
      #33649 - 07/13/09 08:12 AM

I think the bottom lines of this Sony Vaio TR2A would be the short battery! There is ways of enlarging our battery life:
1.If you do not use your laptop for extended periods of time (a week or more), remove the battery pack from the laptop.
2.Do not expose the battery to high heat or freezing temperatures. Do not leave your battery in your car in the summer. Hot batteries discharge very quickly, and cold ones can't create as much power.
3.Make sure to plug your laptop charger adapter into a UPS and not directly into a power outlet or surge protector.
4.If you have a nickel-metal hydride battery, completely drain and recharge the battery once a month to maximize its capacity to hold a charge.
5.Fully charge new battery packs before use. New pack needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.
6.For laptops that work as Desktop Replacement, the battery should be re-installed every 3-4 weeks and allowed to fully discharge.

Edited by sammy (07/13/09 10:21 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage