Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Tablet Computers

Pages: 1
robertliu84

Reged: 12/04/03
Loc: London, UK
Ultralight tablet?
      #7380 - 12/17/03 05:32 PM

I've come to the decision that maybe a PDA is not what I'm after.

I did a bit more searching and came across tablet PCs and subnotebooks/ultra light notebooks.

I've fallen in love with the Sony TR2A, just after reading your review, but it comes with a fairly large price tag.

What I've seen so far:
tablet's = expensive and underpowered laptop, in which its size is comparable to a normal laptop - in which case, I would get a more powerful and cheaper laptop, less the ability to scribble on the screen.
But I don't want a laptop, and want something small. A PDA perhaps? - too small.

So what I want to know is, are there any A5/B5 sized notebooks, i.e. smaller than or equal to the Sony TR2A, that also functions as a tablet, (i.e. swivel screen and scrible on it with a stylus,) but larger than PDAs, so offers more functionality with documents?

If not, why not? Should I be expecting anything any time soon?

Thanks,
Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Ultralight tablet? [Re: robertliu84]
      #7398 - 12/19/03 12:44 AM

I still love my TR2A, even though I can't write on the screen.

Also consider the Samsung NEXiO S160 reviewed here: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/nexio_S160.htm. It's not cheap, but it is significantly cheaper than the TR2A. It's an amazing device!

The general idea with XP Tablets is that they should be verging on ultralight classification. The Acer Tablet is about the same size as the TR2A, though it doesn't have an internal optical drive. We have a review of this unit, and there is now a somewhat faster version available. The Compaq XP Tablet is also in the B5-ish family, and is sometimes seen for less than $2,000. Both are convertible designs, which means they have swiveling displays and a standard integrated notebook keyboard.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage