MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
Confused

Reged: 01/01/04
High speed Internet Access for H4350
      #7627 - 01/01/04 01:23 PM

Hi there. I've been reading around trying to find information regarding the new Ipaq H4350 or H4355 connectivity. I've read the reviews regarding the Sprint and Verizon PC Cards for wireless Internet Access. My question is, since this Ipaq only has an SD/MMC slot, does NOT support expansion sleeves, what are my options for "high speed" access to the internet like what is currently offered by Sprint or Verizon with their PC Cards? Based on my understanding a BT phone will not give me the same speed as the Sprint or Verizon PC Cards. I also want to make use of this wireless connectivity for my laptop if needed.

I've spent countless hours talking to Cell Carriers' techs, and honestly all I get is ???? from them. Even HP could not answer this. I'm not looking for a "hotspot" type of connection. I need wireless connectivity as I'm trying to stop carrying my laptop everywhere. All I need is to be able to connect to the net, use a VPN client to then access our corporate network thru our Cisco firewalls, and then use Terminal Services to gain control of different machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the only matter preventing me to get the Ipaq 4350.

Thanks again...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: High speed Internet Access for H4350 [Re: Confused]
      #7647 - 01/02/04 07:18 PM

You're right, since the iPAQ 4300 models can't take CF or PC Cards, you won't be able to use Sprint and Verizon's high speed data cards. Until either of these carriers offers a phone with Bluetooth, you won't be able to use the 4300 models with high speed CDMA 1xRTT connections

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Confused

Re: High speed Internet Access for H4350 [Re: LisaG]
      #7721 - 01/05/04 08:59 AM

Quote:

You're right, since the iPAQ 4300 models can't take CF or PC Cards, you won't be able to use Sprint and Verizon's high speed data cards. Until either of these carriers offers a phone with Bluetooth, you won't be able to use the 4300 models with high speed CDMA 1xRTT connections

Thanks Lisa. Why would HP do this? At least make the unit compatible with the Extension sleves and the you have covered all bases. I have picked the H2215. Now I'm trying to get MovianVPN to work with it. No luck yet.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: High speed Internet Access for H4350 [Re: Confused]
      #7727 - 01/05/04 12:17 PM

At one time Compaq offered only one model of PDA, and that was the ancestor of the iPAQ 5555. It had 3000 series model numbers. Since HP bought Compaq, they've added many new models to the selection, offering different features and coming in different sizes.
So not all of them will be the 'top of the line takes sleeves' kind of model. . . but the 3000 and 5000 series are and will be sleeve compatible.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Confused

Re: High speed Internet Access for H4350 [Re: LisaG]
      #7763 - 01/06/04 11:15 PM

Well, after days trying to get MovianVPN to work, I've given up. In order to make it work with a Cisco PIX VPN there are so many changes needed on the VPN that at this moment I don't have the time change our VPN structure and probably open security holes. SO sadly I must say that I have returned the H2215.

I will continue carrying that big block of a laptop everywhere I go unfortunately. Hopefully in the future there will be more options for VPN clients available.

By the way I did contact several, Admitone from Funk is no longer sold. Checkpoint requires a Chekpoint VPN appliance and SoftRemote from Safenet, well I called several times, no one returned my calls.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4041

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage