MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
clrb99tj

Reged: 01/05/04
IPAQ buying help
      #7732 - 01/05/04 03:39 PM

Please bear with me on this, I am hoping to find info on buying an IPAQ I need it to be able to hook to the internet both wireless and wired I travel quite a bit and was looking for a laptop replacement.Does the IPaq have wired capablities and can you surf the net with out too much hassle.I`ll have wireless at home and need a wired modem for away form home> Can it be done and what IPAQ sould I consider.5455???????

thanks in advance

clrb99tj

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stinkypaul

Reged: 01/07/04
Re: IPAQ buying help [Re: clrb99tj]
      #7778 - 01/07/04 03:28 PM

Hi there,

I would strongly suggest you go for 5550.

5550 has the newest OS, Pocket PC 2003/Windows Mobile 2003 and have been re-written for better connectivity support. It has included infrared, bluetooth and wireless lan.

5450 has PPC2002 and requires a ROM update/patch to be able to use Wireless LAN properly.

However, if you want to connect to the internet via dialup, you can either use the bluetooth dialup with the bluetooth mobile phone, expensive:-), or use a CF/PCMCIA modem, but require a PCMCIA/CF jacket. Both model use the same one.

Good luck in the shopping,
Paul

lphraner

Reged: 01/03/04
Re: IPAQ buying help [Re: Stinkypaul]
      #7782 - 01/07/04 07:39 PM

If you need flexibility, I would recommend the ipaq 2215, it has the same OS as the 5555 but it has a CF slot and you could buy a CF wireless lan card for the difference in price.

the SPRINTPCS CF card for $179 a bit high, and who knows what the service cost will be and/or a CF wired Modem card for a lot less and you don't have to buy the sleeve.

I would also consider a mobile pda but I don't know enough about them to recommend any.

Good luck

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4003

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage