MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
NightStar

Reged: 01/14/04
Toshiba e805 Questions.
      #7953 - 01/14/04 08:31 AM

I'm after a PocketPC after using a Sony Clie for some time (Have liked the Palms!) - Now, I'm after a PocketPC that can do what my Palm did (Naturally, the PocketPC's can) but has that 'little bit more'

I've seen that the e805 can run in VGA mode (My main worry about the PocketPC's was the 240x320 compared to 320x320 screens of the Palms) - I take it most ebook readers will work in this resolution? (Isilo?)

Also - I want to play games... I've read reviews about the Asus A620 and the "joypad" being good for games, and the Toshiba e805's pad being a bit sluggish - Can anyone tell me if the e805 is still good for games???

Last thing - the e800... The difference between the 800 and 805 is a graphics viewer? If so, I take it I can just purchase another one if needed, or does this specific viewer do something special to warrent the difference in hardware numbers?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FMN
PDA Addict

Reged: 06/27/03
Re: Toshiba e805 Questions. [Re: NightStar]
      #7963 - 01/14/04 01:27 PM

I read the e805 review here, I think most of your questions are answered in the review.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/toshiba_e805.htm

NightStar

Re: Toshiba e805 Questions. [Re: FMN]
      #8038 - 01/16/04 04:55 AM

I have already read the review, but it doesn't explain 'how' bad the button lag is - Other than on one game. I've also read about a stylie lag which isn't really covered, and would like to know about that issue too - Mainly from people who use the e800 a lot!

(I'm just wondering if the ATI graphics chip and VGA screen are something that important that I can do without!, or whether some apps/games are that much better due to the hi-res screen.)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Toshiba e805 Questions. [Re: NightStar]
      #8044 - 01/16/04 01:45 PM

The e805 is my primary Pocket PC and I use it a lot. I haven't experienced any stylus lag. It's really hard to describe button lag since that's an experiential kind of thing, but in action games that make use of the d-pad you will notice it. Games are still playable, but I find that I have to adjust my timing and hit the pad sooner than I would compared to a PPC that doesn't have lag. Of course, it'd be nicer to not have this lag!

The bundled graphics app is available for purchase separately, as far as I know if you buy the e800 instead of the e805. It comes on a separate CD with the e805 and doesn't do anything special to your PDA-- it's just an app. You can use whatever graphics app you like.

If gaming is your thing, besides considering the button lag, keep in mind that most games don't run in VGA mode Hopefully this will change when developers release new versions, though it might not until Windows Mobile 2004 supporting VGA comes out this summer or fall. You'll need to switch back to QVGA mode so the game fills the entire screen. Warfare Inc and some of the emulators do run in VGA full screen. Where VGA mode shines is when using non-gaming apps. Nothing beats browsing, working with Office docs and reading ebooks in VGA! You will need Deez's ResFix to use all apps in VGA, as menioned in the review. Version 1.0 is free and works great. Version 2.0 costs $10 and also supports landscape VGA mode. And of course you'll also want the free UnDead hack mentioned in the review so you can use the Start Menu on the top left of the screen when in VGA mode.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (01/16/04 01:51 PM)

NightStar

Re: Toshiba e805 Questions. [Re: LisaG]
      #8123 - 01/19/04 04:26 AM

I think I'll be getting this unit - Even if I stick with QVGA for the time being!? It has a lot going for it... I'd like to play some of the "arcade" style games, but as I don't with my Palm now, it's nothing I'm going to miss... As long as Scumm works and RTS games are okay with the stylie then I'll be a happy chappy! Thanks for your reply.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage