MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
cookiecat

Reged: 02/19/03
IPAQ 4150 VS Toshiba e805
      #7980 - 01/14/04 07:57 PM

price aside....im having a hard time deciding between the two pocket pcs. im planning to use the pocket pc for everyday functions as well as gaming and mp3s. which would you pick?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: IPAQ 4150 VS Toshiba e805 [Re: cookiecat]
      #8001 - 01/15/04 02:03 PM

Depends on what's important to you. If size counts, the the 4150 is a definite winner since it's one of the smallest PDAs while the e805 is one of the largest. If you have need for Bluetooth, the iPAQ is also a winner.

That VGA screen is fantastic on the e805 however, and it's wonderful for web surfing, reading ebooks and doing word processing/spreadsheets. Most games don't run full screen VGA however, so no current advantage there. You do also get more memory and an CF expansion slot with the e805.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

cookiecat

Reged: 02/19/03
Re: IPAQ 4150 VS Toshiba e805 [Re: LisaG]
      #8036 - 01/16/04 12:26 AM

I took a look at the E805 today and I have to admit it is quite bulky and not something that is pocketable. I checked out some stores and seems that accessories for Toshiba pocket pcs in general are harder to come by. Other than memory I'm assuming that the large price difference is mainly the larger screen and the graphics card. Also when playing with the Toshiba's directional pad, it seemed harder to control for gaming. Any thoughts?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: IPAQ 4150 VS Toshiba e805 [Re: cookiecat]
      #8043 - 01/16/04 01:37 PM

Depends on the size of your pockets But yes it is large compared to the highly compact iPAQ 1945 and 4155. Next to the iPAQ 4355 or 5555 it isn't so big.

I'd say the price compared to something like the iPAQ 4150 is due to the larger and more expensive VGA display, graphics processor, amount of memory and dual slots. Typically each Pocket PC manufacturer's high end unit is priced around $600 (or even higher when it comes to top of the line iPAQs).

I don't find that d-pad all that stiff when compared to a range of PPCs. Some of the iPAQs have the softest d-pads and Dells start out very stiff. I do prefer one that doesn't start out too soft because after many months of serious use, they get broken in and softer. Our Dell X5 was too stiff to start, and is now too soft after our game reviewer spent a year using it for game reviews. If you are a serious gamer, do keep in mind that there is a small button lag on both the e405 and e805 that's noticable in action games. Games are playable but the lag certainly isn't ideal.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

MarkJohnsonII

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: SC
I WILL END YOUR DELIMMA...IPAQ 4150...PERIOD! [Re: cookiecat]
      #8122 - 01/19/04 03:25 AM

I DID AMAZING AMOUNTS OF RESEARCH ON THIS STUFF, AND THE IPAQ 4155 IS THE WAY TO GO...I WOULD LIST ALL THE REASONS WHY, BUT THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY TO DO SO...FIND ONE ONLINE FOR ABOUT $380...YOU WILL BE THANKING ME IMMENSLY.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2885

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage