MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
Kaa

Reged: 01/14/04
SMC2642W
      #8098 - 01/18/04 07:46 PM

I have read in the review that you can't get a list of all access points with this card.
Is this because of the drivers or just a hardware issue?.

Thx.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: SMC2642W [Re: Kaa]
      #8106 - 01/18/04 08:30 PM

Not sure what you mean that one can't get a list of all access points with the SMC card. . .

Quote:

I have read in the review that you can't get a list of all access points with this card.
Is this because of the drivers or just a hardware issue?.

Thx.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Kaa

Re: SMC2642W [Re: LisaG]
      #8108 - 01/18/04 09:13 PM

Maybe i misunderstood what this meant:

"Given the strong range of this card, it'd make a great companion for anyone who travels frequently and needs to pick up WiFi access points that may be weak or hard to find with other cards. That said, I do wish the wireless application for Pocket PC listed access points within range (site survey). It's hard to do wardriving without this, and this would otherwise be the perfect device for sniffing networks.
[...]
Conclusion
This is a great card for the money! Great range from the 14dBm antenna, which surpasses other cards I've tested. Setup and installation are straightforward. I only wish it offered site survey so that one could see a list of available networks."

I got this from http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/SMC_wifi.htm, just in case anyone want read the entire article.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: SMC2642W [Re: Kaa]
      #8109 - 01/18/04 09:23 PM

Oh I see what you meant Some WiFi cards list available access points- this is a feature of the software that comes with the card. It's not a hardware feature. That access point info is interesting (at least if you're a geek), and useful if you're trying to figure out what access points are in range and possibly available. Since Pocket PC 2003/Windows Mobile 2003 came out, many card vendors have left out this sniffer section of their software and instead let the user rely on the access point detection and listing feature built into the OS. The OS version isn't all that informative though, so it's nice when cards ship with such a utility. Since many cards don't, 3rd party sniffers like PocketWiNC are popular (www.cirond.com).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Kaa

Re: SMC2642W [Re: LisaG]
      #8110 - 01/18/04 10:13 PM

I did guess it was software, but i was not sure. It good to know it, 'cos i'm thinking about purchasing one .

Thanks again, LisaG.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6385

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage