MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
hicadoolaboy

Reged: 01/21/04
Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155
      #8191 - 01/22/04 12:03 AM

Been doing lots of research about these two PDAs. And even though both are 400 Mhz, it seems that some PDAs are still faster than others even though the specs are all the same.

I really want to know more about SNES emulation and DivX movie playback comparison between the two. Are both up to par (play at 100% speed / sound)? Is one faster than the other?

4155 already wins in size and plus has wifi

A620 i just hear is faster...would i tell the diff?

So, since it's come down to these two, any feedback would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155 [Re: hicadoolaboy]
      #8192 - 01/22/04 01:52 AM

We usually have benchmark test results in our reviews.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ipaq4150.htm

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/asus_mypal_A620.htm

hicadoolaboy

Re: Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155 [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #8196 - 01/22/04 02:29 AM

I've read through both of those articles more than once (good reviews and benchmarks) but it's still hard for me to decide. i guess i'm just wanting to hear people's personal experience on emulation and media (pref divx). but thanks for your reply!

JackBurnt

Reged: 01/17/04
Loc: Auburn, AL
      #8203 - 01/22/04 01:59 PM

Thought about a iPAQ 2215? I should get mine today (as long as my girlfriend's at home to pick up the mail). I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I'm going to use it for video and games alot so I'll test the speed.

--------------------
I can't say what I want to
Even if I'm not serious.
--Tool
-----------------------------
http://www.esotericbabble.com

hicadoolaboy

Re: Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155 [Re: JackBurnt]
      #8206 - 01/22/04 03:48 PM

Cool, thanks Jack!

I went to Fry's the other day to compare sizes, and they're not that much diff b/t them. I thought the 2215 was going to be WAY bigger than the 4155, but reall it's not.

The only beef I have w/ the 2215 is no Wifi, where as 4155 does have it. But it does have CF, and I'm sure somewhere you can get a CF WiFi card somewhere.

But I think the 2215 is supposed to be faster than 4415 from the reviews I read. So in any case, keep me informed, thanks!!

JackBurnt

Reged: 01/17/04
Loc: Auburn, AL
      #8225 - 01/23/04 01:32 AM

WEEEEE!
I just got mine so I'll be testing alot of stuff.

I bought a CF WIFI Card for 60 bucks so they're out there. And I don't need wifi all the time, so I'll use the CF cards for other things.

Back to playing!

--------------------
I can't say what I want to
Even if I'm not serious.
--Tool
-----------------------------
http://www.esotericbabble.com

hicadoolaboy

Re: Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155 [Re: JackBurnt]
      #8229 - 01/23/04 02:05 AM

I like your Tool quote. MY fav is "I have found, some kind of temporary sanity...in this..."

Anyway, you seem to be having a grand time w/ your 2215. I'm not looking at the Zodiac (Tapwave) it looks pretty awesome to me. But I guess that is more of a PPC vs Palm question.

Have fun! Thanks for the feedback.

Rocque

Reged: 01/29/04
      #8348 - 01/29/04 08:57 PM

I got an iPAQ 2210 myself. It was also quite a difficult task for me to choose one and I even returned a 1940 model before getting the 2210.

I'm sure the 400 MHz Xscale processor has the potential to emulate at 100% full speed and sound a SNES emulator, but I have yet to find one that does it perfectly. If there is not one out yet that can already do it, I'm sure there is one in the works and it won't be long. The one I tested, morphgear, ran SNES games with sound fine but with slight frame loss.

As for other emulation, it runs NES, GBA, GB, SMS, C64, MAME very well from what I've tried. Even an old port of my all time favorite game, ULTIMA UNDERWORLD runs better than my expectations!

As far as playing DiVx, I had afew of my samurai jack episodes converted to divx format 240x320 resolution and they run flawlessly =)

Apart from those perks the 2210 just rocks. It can handle CF type I/II and SD expansion cards simultaneously, a feature that few PDAs offer. I can go on and on about why I like mine, I have 0 complains about the unit - it does everything I expected and much more. If you're worried about not having WiFi on it you can get a CF card for under 100$.

"Don't just call me pessimist, try and read between the lines." - Maynard James Keenan ( tool rocks =)

hicadoolaboy

Re: Narrowed down to MyPal A620 vs. iPaq 4155 [Re: Rocque]
      #8375 - 01/30/04 08:53 PM

Rocque,

I'm glad you thoroughly enjoy your 2210. It took me a LONG time to decide, but I finally went for the 4155. I'm hoping it will be as good as the 2210. I already know it's not as fast as the a620, but I think the size and wifi is worth that price.

I hope mine will run as well as yours does, especially in the divx department. I heard that it only runs in portrait mode which kind of sucks because that just makes it all the bit smaller. Maybe later on they'll find a way to make it landscape. At any rate, I had to decide bt the 2210 and the 4155 since I ruled out a620 due to size.

It was a brutal match, but I ended up with 4155 for the wifi. Call me crazy I guess.

Have fun with yours! Thanks for the feedback

Rocque

Reged: 01/29/04
      #8409 - 02/02/04 11:31 PM

Hica,

You can run them in portrait or in landscape mode. It just depends on the player you're using ( I'm using a freeware player, works awesome ). If the file was encoded at 320x240 it will look perfect in landscape mode =)

Good luck with the 4155, I had my eye on that one before making my final choice =)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6831

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage