MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
hicadoolaboy

Reged: 01/21/04
Tapwave (Zodiac) and Motorola? i.Mx1? ARM9 200Mhz
      #8220 - 01/22/04 06:56 PM

Anyone seen this thing? It looks awesome. And it's capable of many awesome things.

But my only concern is that it is 200 Mhz and not 400 Mhz as the Intel processor. But then again, it's a Motorola Processor running at 200 Mhz...maybe it's more efficient?

For example, AMD's XP 1600 is probably clocked at 1.2 Ghz, but it runs like P4 1.6 Ghz. Is this the same case for the Zodiac vs. the HP IPaq 4155?

Anyone have one of these or knows how it compares to iPaq 4155? This thing looks like it has alot of offer

Pros:
-Large screen!
-Landscape view ability
-Made for multimedia (8 mb dedicated for graphics), so I hope DivX and emulators run well on it...

Cons:
-Bigger than the ipaq 4155
-Not 400 Mhz (but is it comparable)
-Only available on Zodiac website and since it is very new, I have to pay retail. And as everyone knows, "Retail is for suckers!!" (ipaq 4155 is 395 on newegg)

Unsure:
-Don't know if PPC or Palm is better...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tapwave (Zodiac) and Motorola? i.Mx1? ARM9 200Mhz [Re: hicadoolaboy]
      #8223 - 01/22/04 07:16 PM

We're working on a review of the Zodiac right now It should be up within the next week.

It's hard to compare processor speeds when comparing Palm OS and Pocket PC. The Zodiac runs Palm OS which requires a less demanding processor than Pocket PC. The 200 MHz processor and ATI graphics chip with 8 megs of RAM have so far yielded excellent performance when playing games and videos.

The unit is really nice. The screen is sharp and large, it feels nice in the hand and performs well. It is definitely larger than the relatively small iPAQ 4155 though!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

hicadoolaboy

Reged: 01/21/04
Re: Tapwave (Zodiac) and Motorola? i.Mx1? ARM9 200Mhz [Re: LisaG]
      #8226 - 01/22/04 07:34 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback Lisa!

I found another con...no Wifi. and if I had to buy another add on card, well, those get kind of pricey.

Size is an issue for me, but the button layout for this pda is good. I've read another review saying it's a great pda, but the games SO FAR are not as impressive...but definitely have the potential to be.

I think if i had to choose bt the A620 vs the 4155 i'd probably go w/ the 4155 bc of size and wifi.

But now the Zodiac came into the picture and it looks promising (except for that darn 400 Mhz!) Will you guy review SNES emulation on it? and DivX playback?

I can't wait for the review!! Looking forward to it, thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage