MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Bluetooth

Pages: 1
Pete_Profit

Reged: 01/22/04
BT Access Point Necessary 4 Networking???
      #8219 - 01/22/04 06:47 PM

I was hoping I could get two USB BT dongles(for a desktops and a laptop), a CardFlash BT adaptor for an old Cassiopiea E-10, a BT headset, and my Ericsson T610 to all happily hang out together, handshake and communicate.

Then I noticed there is such a thing as the BT Access Point and realised there must be a reason for them. I understand they allow a better range, is that all they do? Will I need one?

I would like to sync PIM info all round, carry, the odd synced file, and also use the Headset as a microphone input device to the laptop, PC, and maybe the cassiopeia (E T610's a given right?)

Thanks in advance, Regards, Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: BT Access Point Necessary 4 Networking??? [Re: Pete_Profit]
      #8230 - 01/22/04 08:07 PM

Bluetooth is primarily designed to be a peer to peer networking technology (or device to device in more descriptive terms). This means you don't need an access point for your headset and phone to talk, or your PDA and phone to talk. Access points are used similarly to WiFi access points: they serve and route Internet connections to devices such as PDAs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pete_Profit

Reged: 01/22/04
Re: BT Access Point Necessary 4 Networking??? [Re: LisaG]
      #8273 - 01/25/04 10:39 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply.

So to do what I would like to do

>I would like to sync PIM info all round, carry, the odd synced file, and also use the Headset as a microphone input device to the laptop, PC, and maybe the cassiopeia (the T610's a given right?)<

could I use only Bluetooth, or would I have to use WiFi to wirelessly connect (say) the laptop to the desktop.

Thanks again.
Pete

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#8276 - 01/26/04 12:14 AM

You should be able to do it all with Bluetooth when it comes to the T610, notebook and desktop. Just make sure the USB BT adapter you get for the notebook and desktop supports the profile used by the headset you purchase (there are two common profiles, headset and handsfree). I'm pretty sure the T610 uses headset profile.

I don't believe you'll be able to use a headset with the Casio because CF cards for PPCs don't generally support those profiles. The E-10 may also be a problem with BT because most of the cards out there are for newer devices running Pocket PC 2002 OS.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

newt3owner

Reged: 06/16/04
      #12614 - 06/26/04 10:21 PM

I am trying to figure out BT networking as well. I have a T3, Cable modem, Desktop running XP Pro. (and wifi notebook running XP pro) Both or either Ethernet wire or WiFi wireless - Question: can I just buy a USB BT dongle and set up either the laptop or desktop as an "on-ramp" or peer networked device to access the internet on my T3?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: BT Access Point Necessary 4 Networking??? [Re: newt3owner]
      #12618 - 06/27/04 12:15 AM

You could use a USB dongle and turn on Internet Connection Sharing in Windows to serve the connection to your T3. However, it's pretty challenging and involves bridging the PC's Ethernet connection to the BT adapter. It might be worth it to buy the Belkin BT access point reviewed on our site, which is quite cheap and much easier to set up than ICS under Windows.

Belkin review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/belkin_AP.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7027

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage