MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Bluetooth

Pages: 1
cooleddy

Reged: 01/14/04
help! please... Lisa :) regarding pass through..
      #8308 - 01/27/04 07:25 PM

below are the old ones and I came up with this line today....

[2) You can connect via BT to your PC that's equipped with a USB or PCMCIA Bluetooth card and use the pass-through Internet connection feature of Windows networking to share the connection with your PDA. You can also ActiveSync wirelessly this way!]
from your tip article Bluetooth Networking for your Palm, Pocket PC and Computer
by Lisa Gade, Editor-in-Chief, July 30, 2002 (updated Oct. 2003)

I was told that my verizon dsl-ppp/oe is the reason not letting my ipaq pass through.
is there any set up that I and HP tech people miss regarding internet connection feature of windows networking to share connection with my ipaq?

I was advised to purchase a router, and I think if I do get a router (which means additional investment) I would add a bit more and go all the way to get wi-fi home.

I am able to do activesyc and file transfer with my ipaq (2215) and desktop but no internet.
I would really appreciate your looking into this.
Thanks!
sean
----------------------------------------------------

I am trying to use my existing BT ipaq2215 to pass through my desktop to use internet.
but my verizon residential DSL uses PPP/OE and that's what causes pass through not working (final answer from HP after many hours..though they were nice.)
I talked to verizon dsl people and they don't even know what it is.

some HP person said I should look into an option of having a router between my desktop and dsl modem.(another one says he doubt this will work)

what kind of router I shuold get? if this will work.

I naively thought purchasing bluetooth for my desktop only for $3-40 would be connecting my pda to internet.

I could purcahse wi-fi router and wi-fi cf card for my pda but it will cost me $$$, I think, which I don't really want to invest that much only for that.

any expert take on this?
Thanks.
sean
-------------------
just talked to verizon dsl tech again.
router wouldn't solve this issue, he thinks as router will only increase ports but will be all ppp/oe.
he says HP or whoever should develop product works with most of dsl connections, which is ppp/oe.
I think he has a point though.
now I am lost...what should I do?

Edited by cooleddy (01/28/04 09:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: help! please... Lisa :) regarding pass through.. [Re: cooleddy]
      #8358 - 01/29/04 06:30 PM

Most DSL providers and even cable modem from what I hear, use PPPoE *sigh* However, since this drives folks mad who want to connect several computers to the NET at home, there have been routers on the market for a few years. These are commonly marketed as Residential Gateways, and often have firewall features too. The router connects to your ISP via PPoE (enough acronyms?) and then serves a wired Ethernet Internet connection (TCP/IP) to your PCs. The Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router is an example of this, and D-Link and other makes offer similar products. This way each PC/device connected to the network can get its own IP address, which is necessary for surfing and email to work.

Internet connection sharing can be a bit of a pain to set up, unfortunately, so it's hard to say if the lack of a router is the problem or if it's just a config issue. One other thing- if you connect to your PC via ActiveSync (and stay connected), then you'll have a pass through Internet connection thanks to that feature in ActiveSync. That might be the easiest way to go.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

cooleddy

Reged: 01/14/04
thanks [Re: LisaG]
      #8401 - 02/01/04 10:29 PM

Thanks, Lisa .

even activesyc on my cradle does not connect my ipaq to internet.
anyway...
after talking to verizon DSl tech, It came to my mind that they had a point
though they were not helpful at all.
most (or some) residential DSL uses ppp/oe and then HP-Ipaq -pocket pc2003
should know how to co-exist with this or at least some sort of heads-up, not
like I spent a week long phone converstaion with 4 different tech support
people.

it occured to me that , during my conversation with my friend, if I do get a
router , why not go all the way to get a wireless router as it seems that's
the direction...of development trend.
(pretty much same investment range in terms of $$)
I am returning my 2215 and getting 4155 (it is only $50 difference though
there are some other issues and comparisons.)

well, thanks again and I am sure I will come back here with more questions.
sean

Edited by cooleddy (02/01/04 10:31 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5802

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage