MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC Software

Pages: 1
Moriarty

Reged: 12/18/03
Software recommendations?
      #8334 - 01/29/04 05:18 AM

So, at least I have it in my hand. My first PDA (iPaq 2210). Great! Calendar works fine, syncing as well. Now what?

Is there any programs You'd like to recommend to me? I'm all ears! Ok, most programs is about personal taste but see me as a blank paper to write on - I don't know what I like to have on my PDA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Software recommendations? [Re: Moriarty]
      #8359 - 01/29/04 06:32 PM

If you like movies, get Pocket MVP (a pocket DivX player) from http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html
It's free and supports many video formats. Great fun.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Moriarty

Re: Software recommendations? [Re: LisaG]
      #8365 - 01/30/04 01:53 AM

I love movies, so that was a useful advise, thanks!

Things I'd like to use on my PDA (haven't looked really hard yet):

- Scientific calculator of good quality
- Some quality games (not nescessarly big and complex like SimCity)
- eBook reading. This is a completely new world to me. Where do I find free books, where do I buy the ones that cost money and what reader should I have?
- A better notepad app than the one that comes with PPC2K3. It feels so "laggy" when drawing?

I am also interested in doing some programming myself for the PDA. Where do I find SDK's, documentation and such? I'm not a fan of Visual Basic but if that's the best suited and supported language I can live with it. I'd prefer C or C++. Perhaps there's a nifty SDK to be installed under Visual Studio? I haven't got a clue about the world of PDA programming.

I guess most quality software for PDA is like PC software - you have to pay for it... I don't mind paying for software (especially as my own paychecks come frome people that pay their software) but I always prefer to test the software first. So primarly I'm interested in free- and shareware or at least software that can be tested using a demo first.

Thanks in advance!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Software recommendations? [Re: Moriarty]
      #8374 - 01/30/04 01:52 PM

There are quite a few sci calcs, so I'd suggest doing a search on www.pocketgear.com.

As for games, we have over 100 PPC games reviews on this site, so check 'em out Warfare Inc is pretty hot (RTS), and so is Everquest and Age of Empires. There are plenty of action games as well.

For pay-for ebooks, I think most folks prefer Palm Reader eBooks from palmdigitalmedia.com. There's a PPC version of the reader, so have no fear. The prices are good and their DRM scheme isn't overbearing. For free ebooks, check out Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.net/index.shtml and the Univ. of VA site http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

MS has an SDK that you can use with Visual Studio for C++. Don't know where they keep it these days but it's free and about 100 megs to download. Check www.pocketpc.com or the main MS web site.

Most all apps come in trial versions, so you can see if you like them before you buy.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Moriarty

Re: Software recommendations? [Re: LisaG]
      #8377 - 01/30/04 03:24 PM

Excellent! Now I have tons of things to checkout! Thanks!!! It's so hard to get started sometimes...

If anyone else has something they'd like to share in terms of favorite apps feel free to share

Cheers!

Moriarty

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5789

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage