MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Bluetooth

Pages: 1

Reged: 01/14/04
help! please... Lisa :) regarding pass through..
      #8308 - 01/28/04 01:25 AM

below are the old ones and I came up with this line today....

[2) You can connect via BT to your PC that's equipped with a USB or PCMCIA Bluetooth card and use the pass-through Internet connection feature of Windows networking to share the connection with your PDA. You can also ActiveSync wirelessly this way!]
from your tip article Bluetooth Networking for your Palm, Pocket PC and Computer
by Lisa Gade, Editor-in-Chief, July 30, 2002 (updated Oct. 2003)

I was told that my verizon dsl-ppp/oe is the reason not letting my ipaq pass through.
is there any set up that I and HP tech people miss regarding internet connection feature of windows networking to share connection with my ipaq?

I was advised to purchase a router, and I think if I do get a router (which means additional investment) I would add a bit more and go all the way to get wi-fi home.

I am able to do activesyc and file transfer with my ipaq (2215) and desktop but no internet.
I would really appreciate your looking into this.

I am trying to use my existing BT ipaq2215 to pass through my desktop to use internet.
but my verizon residential DSL uses PPP/OE and that's what causes pass through not working (final answer from HP after many hours..though they were nice.)
I talked to verizon dsl people and they don't even know what it is.

some HP person said I should look into an option of having a router between my desktop and dsl modem.(another one says he doubt this will work)

what kind of router I shuold get? if this will work.

I naively thought purchasing bluetooth for my desktop only for $3-40 would be connecting my pda to internet.

I could purcahse wi-fi router and wi-fi cf card for my pda but it will cost me $$$, I think, which I don't really want to invest that much only for that.

any expert take on this?
just talked to verizon dsl tech again.
router wouldn't solve this issue, he thinks as router will only increase ports but will be all ppp/oe.
he says HP or whoever should develop product works with most of dsl connections, which is ppp/oe.
I think he has a point though.
now I am lost...what should I do?

Edited by cooleddy (01/29/04 03:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: help! please... Lisa :) regarding pass through.. [Re: cooleddy]
      #8358 - 01/30/04 12:30 AM

Most DSL providers and even cable modem from what I hear, use PPPoE *sigh* However, since this drives folks mad who want to connect several computers to the NET at home, there have been routers on the market for a few years. These are commonly marketed as Residential Gateways, and often have firewall features too. The router connects to your ISP via PPoE (enough acronyms?) and then serves a wired Ethernet Internet connection (TCP/IP) to your PCs. The Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router is an example of this, and D-Link and other makes offer similar products. This way each PC/device connected to the network can get its own IP address, which is necessary for surfing and email to work.

Internet connection sharing can be a bit of a pain to set up, unfortunately, so it's hard to say if the lack of a router is the problem or if it's just a config issue. One other thing- if you connect to your PC via ActiveSync (and stay connected), then you'll have a pass through Internet connection thanks to that feature in ActiveSync. That might be the easiest way to go.

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Reged: 01/14/04
thanks [Re: LisaG]
      #8401 - 02/02/04 04:29 AM

Thanks, Lisa .

even activesyc on my cradle does not connect my ipaq to internet.
after talking to verizon DSl tech, It came to my mind that they had a point
though they were not helpful at all.
most (or some) residential DSL uses ppp/oe and then HP-Ipaq -pocket pc2003
should know how to co-exist with this or at least some sort of heads-up, not
like I spent a week long phone converstaion with 4 different tech support

it occured to me that , during my conversation with my friend, if I do get a
router , why not go all the way to get a wireless router as it seems that's
the direction...of development trend.
(pretty much same investment range in terms of $$)
I am returning my 2215 and getting 4155 (it is only $50 difference though
there are some other issues and comparisons.)

well, thanks again and I am sure I will come back here with more questions.

Edited by cooleddy (02/02/04 04:31 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6511

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage