MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
pev

Reged: 02/03/04
Tungsten T3 v pocket PCs
      #8434 - 02/04/04 04:07 PM

I'm planning to get my first PDA shortly, with ?300 (uk) being my upper price limit. From the research I've done I'd day the Tungsten T3 looks like the best buy. I particularly like the larger display with 320x480 resolution and portrait/landscape modes, as well as the 400MHz processor, 64meg RAM etc.

I do have 2 concerns though. The battery life is poor - I've read that intensive operation will flatten the battery in 2 hours. Also, Palm OS doesn't appear to be as visually appealing as the pocket PC equivalent. Whilst Pocket OS looks similar to Windows, Palm OS seems plainer and more old-fashioned by comparison.

I've been tempted by similarly priced pocket PCs, especially HP ones, but I'm not convinced they'd be better than the T3, mainly because their resolution is only 240x320. Are there any other PDAs worth seriously considering, or should I just accept the negative points and go for the T3?

Thanks for any ideas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tungsten T3 v pocket PCs [Re: pev]
      #8438 - 02/04/04 09:37 PM

Keep in mind that by Palm standards the T3's battery life is poor because Palm's usually have very good battery life compared to Pocket PCs. The T3 is about the same as the average Pocket PC for battery life.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Moriarty

Reged: 12/18/03
Re: Tungsten T3 v pocket PCs [Re: LisaG]
      #8446 - 02/05/04 04:04 AM

I chosed between Tungsten T3 and iPaq 2210 as I could get them for the same price. I chosed iPaq 2210. I don't know if I made the right choice since I haven't used T3 at all but so far I'm very pleased with my 2210.

Batterylife, yes. If it's importand to be able to use the PDA a longer time without recharge then perhaps iPaq 2210 or not even T3 is for you. I guess there are good models out there, both Pocket PC and Palm based ones, with good batterylife. But I think that the more power and features you pack into your PDA, the shorter batterylife you get. Plain and simple.

I use my PDA for PIM functionality primarly so I sync it with my PC every day. That makes the battery issue irrelevant - for me at least. I first thought batterylife would be a problem to me if I chosed Pocket PC but so far I haven't even thought about it. I guess you'd miss it if you're used to it but for me it's the first PDA so...

Oh, the look and feel of the OS. Try to get hold of as many pics as possible of the two and see what appeals you the most. Better, go to the local store and try them out for yourself.

Of course Pocket PC has a Windows look but mind you: they have trimmed down the visuals in Pocket PC quite a lot (in order to save precious space on the small screen and increase readability). Fancy 3D GUI controls with shadows is no more. I thought both Palm OS and Pocket PC looked fine. More important is how they feel and I think you'll get as many answers about this as are PDA users out there. It's simply a matter of opinion. So go get one yourself, that's my advice.

What you should do (I think) is to look at what you need from your PDA and try to do the best match possible. Look at user reviews to see personal opinions and try to look at as many as possible to "stay unbiased". Good luck

Edited by Moriarty (02/05/04 04:10 AM)

pev

Reged: 02/03/04
Re: Tungsten T3 v pocket PCs [Re: Moriarty]
      #8455 - 02/05/04 05:24 PM

Thanks for the help. The T3 remains favorite but I'll take another look at the iPaqs before deciding for sure next week. The short battery life shouldn't be a problem. Am I right in saying you can buy an external battery for the T3? Also can it be operated directly from the power supply or is it battery only?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Tungsten T3 v pocket PCs [Re: pev]
      #8456 - 02/05/04 05:41 PM

Palm does sell and extended battery for the T3 and it fits on like a sled. The charger on the Tungstens plugs into the cradle rather than directly into the PDA, so you'll be able to use it while it's charging in the cradle.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3754

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage